GENERAL DISCUSSIONS

The Sadness

POSTED BY: ELEVEN13
UPDATED: Friday, May 12, 2006 11:19
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 2406
PAGE 1 of 1

Thursday, May 11, 2006 6:36 AM

ELEVEN13


I find that what is so endearing about the gyst of the show/movie is the fatalist attitude.....yet there is humor in that. My new album is an attempt to weave that feeling Firefly leaves in your guts afterwards....Like you're stoically plugging along. I just have to stay away from the country western vibe......


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, May 11, 2006 4:15 PM

MILFORD


Hmmm... that's interesting. I never thought about it until now. I recently read an interesting book by Edith Hamilton called Mythology, very good if you're interested in that kind of thing. Anyhoo, the essential tenet of Norse mythology is the fatality of it all. The gods prepare for a war that comes at the end of time. When it comes, they know they're all going to die. There's no other option. They achieve glory by fighting as fiercely as possible. Sounds a lot like our captain doesn't it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Customizeable handmade baby gifts personalized by my wife! Check them out at www.baby-bobo.com. All proceeds go towards international adoption.

JUNE 23RD: Take part in our assault on Universal. Commit to buy a copy of Serenity or Firefly, or both, and write a letter to Universal, Joss, and the rest of the BDH's and let them know what we want!

Leaning into the wind that used to carry me-Stavesacre

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, May 11, 2006 4:25 PM

PDCHARLES

What happened? He see your face?


Quote:

Originally posted by milford:
When it comes, they know they're all going to die. There's no other option. They achieve glory by fighting as fiercely as possible. Sounds a lot like our captain doesn't it?



Not only sounds like... an excellent analogy!

I'll have to check that book out


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, May 11, 2006 5:59 PM

NOSADSEVEN


Quote:

Originally posted by Eleven13:
I find that what is so endearing about the gyst of the show/movie is the fatalist attitude.....yet there is humor in that. My new album is an attempt to weave that feeling Firefly leaves in your guts afterwards....Like you're stoically plugging along. I just have to stay away from the country western vibe......


I've always appreciated "that feeling Firefly leaves in your guts". It's why I find the show's own struggle for continued existence oddly beautiful...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ain't. We. Just.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:29 PM

CHRISMOORHEAD


Ah, the great battle of Ragnarok, where all the mighty warriors from Valhalla will rage against the tides of time at the back of Odin!

I think it's this June, actually. Here, take a look http://www.dagorhir.com/ragnarok

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:34 PM

RIVER6213


I wonder if Joss sleeps well at night, knowing that he created something that we fans are somewhat obsessed with? For the rest of his writing and directing career, he will be constantly dogged by the "Firefly" question. It will follow him until the day he dies I suspect.

I'm so glad I'm not him. I would move and do my directing and writings of movies from another country just so I wouldn't have to run into that occasional BDF (Big Damned Fan) who would be armed with a wide range of questions regarding Firefly.

How can Joss sleep at night knowing that he started something and didn't finish it?
How can he sleep.
I would not be able too.

River


P.S. I watched yet again the whole Firefly season and I am left with once again the feeling that I lost something important, something that was left unfinished. A painting that was left undone.

How can Joss sleep at night...how?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:04 PM

CHRISMOORHEAD


Althoug I'm sure EVERYONE here feels like that, I just wanted to personally concur. I don't think I was ever to put it so simply as you have just now. Usually for me it's just rants of cursing and "How could THIS get cancelled!?", but the un-finished painting thing is really the driving force behind my anguish.

I always get an empty feeling at the end of a good story. Up untill now, it's mostly been with Japanese themed stories. The book "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa, the movies "Ghost Dog" and "The Last Samurai". Something about that fatalist attitude, the characters you love most dying tragically, so tragically that it's beautiful.

I suppose that'd be a fitting description of the Firefly series and Serenity as a whole. Even with Wash and Book dead, I'm speaking more figuratively. The show was destined to have an un-appy ending. That was kind of the point of the story, finding beauty in despairity. But it's ten times worse with this, because it died TOO early, and what's worse, I wasn't even around to enjoy the true experience of it existing. All I caught was the monuments to it's death.

I'm with you all. I hate this feeling, like there's nothing I can do for something I want so bad. If there was a guerentee that it would bring the show back, I'd give all my money and everything I own. It feels pathetic just saying that, but it's the damn truth.

sigh... I'm gonna go look down the barrel of my .38 for a while.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:19 PM

FOLLOWMAL


Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisMoorhead:


I'm with you all. I hate this feeling, like there's nothing I can do for something I want so bad. If there was a guerentee that it would bring the show back, I'd give all my money and everything I own. It feels pathetic just saying that, but it's the damn truth.



I think I am here too. Pathetic, no... Love, yes.
It's the exact same feeling I have had when my love is not with me.

This show is so gorram good it evokes those feelings so deeply. And it evokes them in all of us...and here we are.
And much like the Captain, who always seems to face adversity with that attitude of--- well, here I am and there it is and I'm getting thru it---Im not going to despair, I'm gonna hold here.

The 'verse will come back.

And Chris, don't do that, just stay here with us.
We need folks with that much love for the show.



"You hold. Hold 'til I get back." Mal

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:37 PM

RIVER6213


Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisMoorhead:
Althoug I'm sure EVERYONE here feels like that, I just wanted to personally concur. I don't think I was ever to put it so simply as you have just now. Usually for me it's just rants of cursing and "How could THIS get cancelled!?", but the un-finished painting thing is really the driving force behind my anguish.

I always get an empty feeling at the end of a good story. Up untill now, it's mostly been with Japanese themed stories. The book "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa, the movies "Ghost Dog" and "The Last Samurai". Something about that fatalist attitude, the characters you love most dying tragically, so tragically that it's beautiful.

I suppose that'd be a fitting description of the Firefly series and Serenity as a whole. Even with Wash and Book dead, I'm speaking more figuratively. The show was destined to have an un-appy ending. That was kind of the point of the story, finding beauty in despairity. But it's ten times worse with this, because it died TOO early, and what's worse, I wasn't even around to enjoy the true experience of it existing. All I caught was the monuments to it's death.

I'm with you all. I hate this feeling, like there's nothing I can do for something I want so bad. If there was a guerentee that it would bring the show back, I'd give all my money and everything I own. It feels pathetic just saying that, but it's the damn truth.

sigh... I'm gonna go look down the barrel of my .38 for a while.




Don't waste your time feeling pathetic for saying that...it’s true. It's a sum up of all that we feel regarding Firefly.

There is a certain emptiness that the last DVD, the last episode of Firefly leaves you with, a certain sadness. These wonderful characters have been left in limbo, these wonderful characters who we were forced to learn to love (yes, I said love) lives and stories have been tossed into the land of limbo, and their stories were not completed, a great painting unfinished thrown into a forgotten attic as though it, or they had no impact on anything or anyone whatsoever. A great idea scraped simply because it was the right show at the wrong time. Our loss and its so sad.

Watching Mal in action again after not have watched Fly in such a while…I really like him. He so serious for one so young. He likes to think that he such a hardass, but he’s a man with serious convictions. He’s one of the good guys. He doesn’t really know this. He deals with what’s in front of his face. He stands up for the underdog, and he loathes the idea of bullies.

Inara, will we ever really know about her besides the fact that she’s a Companion? There is more to this person that meets the eye. Her past and those questions were taken away from us, so we have no choice but to speculate on what her story really was all about.

Kaylee, our wonderful, delightful Kaylee. Will we ever know where she came from? What family could have created such a positive person?

The same with the remaining characters….their stories are lost in limbo now that Joss has his career to do. It’s rather unfair, but I guess this is how life works on the screen. Sometimes I wish I never heard of Firefly.


How can Joss sleep at night?


River

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:46 PM

RIVER6213


I would also like to mention that the movie, which was great in my book, only added too the sadness, and generated more questions which will never be answered. More stories untold.

Our Big Damned heroes vaporized into the world of nothingness and no one but us cares about it...not even the dreammaker Joss.

So I guess I got to be dumped twice. 1st by my husband 6 years ago, and now by Joss, a man I never met. Life is funny like that.

River

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, May 12, 2006 12:07 AM

AGATSU


I think you do Joss and the BDHs wrong. They did everything they could to keep Serenity flying. I don't think they have given up on Serenity. Maybe they have abandoned hope by now, but they'll never abandon their love for it. Except if all the love and happiness we see in the making-ofs and behind-the-scenes were fake, and I strongly doubt that.
I wonder if they still know we're around. Maybe another mission is in order, one to just thank Joss and the BDHs and the crew for what they have given us. They might not even know how much their fanbase has grown... I mean, when Jewel showed up here in that other thread in September 2004, there were less than 8000 people registered on here - and the Browncoats had already helped a great bit making Serenity happening by then. Now we're more than 20800 on this board alone, and 30 more signing up every day. This is either the biggest gathering at a funeral I have ever seen, or the beginning of a revolution.
Ooooh, I just had an idea for a shiny Browncoat design.
Ah well, I guess we'll see if they get involved in S-Day, the Summer Campaign, and the 'Versary. I don't think there's anything against that in their contracts, except maybe Joss'.
Let's hope for the best. I, for one, have faith.


BROWNCOATS UNITE!

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, May 12, 2006 12:30 AM

AZTECHROME



Quote:

Originally posted by Eleven13:



I've always appreciated "that feeling Firefly leaves in your guts". It's why I find the show's own struggle for continued existence oddly beautiful...



It is not only beautiful, but vibrantly alive. This show has far surpassed its deceivingly simple genre classification.

FIREFLY will keep on flyin' for many year, i predict. Don't know about the BDS though.


"Where is the difference between work and love? Show me..." (JLG Passion)

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, May 12, 2006 12:38 AM

AZTECHROME


Quote:

Originally posted by RiveR6213:
I would also like to mention that the movie, which was great in my book, only added too the sadness, and generated more questions which will never be answered. More stories untold.

River



I agree, River.
How can one put a capstone on such a piece of artistry in but two hours.
The pilot was 2 hrs. alone!

They tried, and it's a miracle that it happened,but it's not possible to close Joss's drama, forever, in such a short time.

also sad,

-aztechrome

"Where is the difference between work and love? Show me..." (JLG Passion)

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, May 12, 2006 11:19 AM

ELEVEN13


All great comments......oddly enough, Firefly captured people like me who would not have gotten within spitting distance of other Joss Whedon productions. Maybe that's why there are so many folks pushing Serenity through space.....it wasn't what even the creators invisioned. Sometimes I get a track together in my studio that encompasses several tracks blending together...........only then do I say, "Did I do that?" Sometimes soul replaces intention and the result is magic. At 30....I long even more for that kind of magic...there's not much in the world anymore for this child of the 80's. Also............FYI, go to www.myspace.com/weswhitten to have more streamlined discussion. I don't care if you like my tunes or not, THIS is all about my favorite space bug, Firefly. I am a one man band and i am not trying to sell anybody anything. Promise.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
I accidentally hit the sign up words in the upper right corner and got page not found. Anybody else?
Fri, October 7, 2022 10:51 - 5 posts
The Rookie: Feds
Mon, October 3, 2022 16:17 - 2 posts
Brenda? Are You Watching FBI: Most Wanted?
Tue, September 20, 2022 23:08 - 139 posts
Testing.
Wed, September 14, 2022 10:39 - 54 posts
Kicked off Facebook!
Sun, August 28, 2022 13:05 - 23 posts
Batgirl Got Axed
Tue, August 16, 2022 19:08 - 7 posts
V for Vendetta review
Fri, August 12, 2022 12:42 - 55 posts
Would you still fly?
Tue, August 2, 2022 20:53 - 83 posts
Running of the Jaynes 2022. 3rd one! CSTS event. Between 7/10 and 7/24.
Thu, July 7, 2022 18:53 - 2 posts
Where are the Extraterrestrial Civilizations
Tue, July 5, 2022 20:54 - 43 posts
Anyone gotten to the end of season 3 of The Expanse?
Mon, June 13, 2022 11:53 - 32 posts
American Humor
Mon, June 13, 2022 11:22 - 9 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL