GENERAL DISCUSSIONS

Bring back our Favorite Fly!!

POSTED BY: SHANYU
UPDATED: Thursday, September 23, 2004 03:13
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 2113
PAGE 1 of 1

Tuesday, September 21, 2004 3:33 PM

SHANYU


I think that if we can get enough people to email the fox network and ask them politely to bring back firefly then they just might do it, so call upp all your friends get them to send emails we want this show back on the air, and if they refuse we can just politely shoot them.

Tell Everyone you know to send the emails... NOW!

(if i have the wrong place to send the emails please correct me i do not rememebr who the ppl that made the production of the movie was)

Please reply If you think that it will work or if u agree to do this!
--------------------------------------------------------
"You can live with a man for fourty years , share his meals, talk on every subject, then tie him up, and hold him over the volanoes edge. And on that day, you will finally meet the man"

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, September 21, 2004 3:58 PM

STIZO


Yeah, this was tried when the rumors first started flying about firefly being canceled way back when it was still on. Didn't work then, ain't gonna work now.

----------------------------------------------
Conquering the galaxy with terrifying space monkeys, one ship at a time...

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, September 21, 2004 5:34 PM

PHEON


As much as we would all love to see Firefly back on TV, our BDHs at Dragon*Con told us that when Fox sold Universal the rights to make the movie, they nixed the possibility of Firefly coming back to TV as a series. Support the movie, and make sure you see it several times on opening weekend, and the following weekend. If the movie does well, Universal will greenlight another one.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 22, 2004 4:50 AM

BROWNCOAT1

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.


I can appreciate your enthusiasm Shanyu, but a return to TV is a very remote possiblity at best. According to Nathan & Jewel both Fox still holds the rights to the show and their stipulation w/ Universal to do the movie was no return to TV for an undisclosed number of years.

At this point it appears the best option we have is to hope for two more movies and work to make them as successful as we can to insure the DVD releases.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."


NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 22, 2004 5:16 AM

10481


OK, showing my ignorance of all things legal, showbiz, etc. and so on: If Fox cancelled the series, they don't want it, right? They think it's worthless, right? So why do they want the rights to it? OR if they want to hang onto the rights in case the movie is popular, then why wouldn't they want to start the series up again? Do they just want the rights so they can make $$ off of the series through the 14 episodes they so magnanimously allowed us to have? Where's the huge profit in that? If the rights are so valuable why not make another series?

Another stupid question:
If someone could clarify -- are you saying that Fox agreed to let Universal do the movie under the stipulation that Fox would not bring the series back to TV for an undisclosed number of years, or that no other network could bring it back (how could they if Fox holds the rights?), or that neither Fox nor any other network would bring it back (and why would they want to close off that option for themselves)? So, could Fox bring it back if they wanted to?

Could someone (even if through their hails of derisive laughter) please answer this for me?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 22, 2004 5:24 AM

BROWNCOAT1

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.


Quote:

Originally posted by 10481:
OK, showing my ignorance of all things legal, showbiz, etc. and so on: If Fox cancelled the series, they don't want it, right? They think it's worthless, right? So why do they want the rights to it? OR if they want to hang onto the rights in case the movie is popular, then why wouldn't they want to start the series up again? Do they just want the rights so they can make $$ off of the series through the 14 episodes they so magnanimously allowed us to have? Where's the huge profit in that? If the rights are so valuable why not make another series?



I think Nathan said it best when he said that if Univeral makes the BDM a success, and it returns to another network and is successful, who comes of looking STUPID? Fox, that's who. A well deserved observation in my opinion.

Fox is saving face by prohibiting a return to TV. I think they sorely underestimated the dedication of the fanbase, the effect the DVD release would have on the size of the fanbase, and just how much the cast and Joss love the show and BDM.

Quote:

Originally posted by 10481:
Another stupid question:
If someone could clarify -- are you saying that Fox agreed to let Universal do the movie under the stipulation that Fox would not bring the series back to TV for an undisclosed number of years, or that no other network could bring it back (how could they if Fox holds the rights?), or that neither Fox nor any other network would bring it back (and why would they want to close off that option for themselves)? So, could Fox bring it back if they wanted to?

Could someone (even if through their hails of derisive laughter) please answer this for me?



It is my understanding that no network will be able to bring it back to the small screen. Fox will never bring it back because to do so would admit they were wrong about the show, and it took Universal, part of a rival network, to prove it.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."


NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 22, 2004 6:00 AM

10481


Quote:

Originally posted by BrownCoat1:
....Fox is saving face by prohibiting a return to TV. I think they sorely underestimated the dedication of the fanbase, the effect the DVD release would have on the size of the fanbase, and just how much the cast and Joss love the show and BDM.

...It is my understanding that no network will be able to bring it back to the small screen. Fox will never bring it back because to do so would admit they were wrong about the show, and it took Universal, part of a rival network, to prove it.
...



Thanks BrownCoat1, for the clarification. Of course, it only makes me more angry...

So, just to vent: Aren't Fox already losing face and looking stupid because by not allowing it to come back to TV they're
admitting that the show is/movie will be so popular that they can't afford to let it come back 'cause they'll look stupid?

And heck, do Fox really think that if they brought Firefly back, people would start mocking them? Wouldn't we fans be so grateful that we'd be putting out full-page ads in newspapers to thank them? I would be kissing a** like crazy.

Right now, anyone who knows anything about this already knows that Fox made a BDB (Big Damn Blunder). They could only go uphill by allowing it to come back to TV (profits, fans, etc.), but instead they're digging themselves in even deeper.

I see now why this emoticon is on the board!

I know that no logic applies in this situation, so I don't expect anyone to be able to explain it to me any further. But thanks for listening!

And, on a positive note: Hooray for the BDM!!!

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 22, 2004 6:27 AM

PIZMOBEACH

... fully loaded, safety off...


I agree with you strange zip code, this makes the only kind of sense that comes from a huge lack of facts. Maybe the stipulation is that ONLY Fox will be able to bring it back to tv for 5 - 10 years?? Fox worried about losing face??!! We all know that's a joke! They have no shame! Money money money - more important to any network than "face."
And as for what anyone has said about it (including BDH's) what else could they say? Imagine what would happen if they said, "well, it's possible if...."

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 22, 2004 6:35 AM

BROWNCOAT1

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.


Quote:

Originally posted by 10481:
So, just to vent: Aren't Fox already losing face and looking stupid because by not allowing it to come back to TV they're
admitting that the show is/movie will be so popular that they can't afford to let it come back 'cause they'll look stupid?

And heck, do Fox really think that if they brought Firefly back, people would start mocking them? Wouldn't we fans be so grateful that we'd be putting out full-page ads in newspapers to thank them? I would be kissing a** like crazy.




Everyone here would agree w/ you 10481; Fox looks foolish and have lost out on a hit show and now soon to be hit movie.

As much as I despise Fox, and have not watched their gos se network since they cancelled Firefly, I would gladly watch them again if they were insightful enough to bring the show back. Heck, I would sing the praises of Fox and wear a Fox t-shirt everywhere I went.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."


NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 22, 2004 6:41 AM

10481


Quote:

Originally posted by pizmobeach:
I agree with you strange zip code



I was the 10481st person to sign the online Firefly petition...better late than never...


Quote:


...And as for what anyone has said about it (including BDH's) what else could they say? Imagine what would happen if they said, "well, it's possible if...."



Thank you "and all the clams you can eat," for injecting a smidgen of hope into my otherwise depressing musings!

And hey, even if all we've got left is movies... How many of those Star Trek films did they make, anyway?


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 22, 2004 6:51 AM

10481


Quote:

Originally posted by BrownCoat1:
...Everyone here would agree w/ you 10481; Fox looks foolish and have lost out on a hit show and now soon to be hit movie.

As much as I despise Fox, and have not watched their gos se network since they cancelled Firefly, I would gladly watch them again if they were insightful enough to bring the show back. Heck, I would sing the praises of Fox and wear a Fox t-shirt everywhere I went. ...



Thanks BrownCoat1 -- I'm sure you've had these discussions dozens of times, if not hundreds, so thanks for rehashing them for a newbie on the board!

Just FYI, I only just became aware of Firefly last month through Netflix -- it was recommended on there and had so many good reviews that I gave it a shot and was totally blown away. I have already ordered my own DVD set and I have converted at least one friend and am working on more.

Thanks to all who keep the dream alive!

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 22, 2004 6:25 PM

YT

the movie is not the Series. Only the facts have been changed, to irritate the innocent; the names of the actors and characters remain the same


Quote:

Originally posted by pizmobeach:
Maybe the stipulation is that ONLY Fox will be able to bring it back to tv for 5 - 10 years??



While possible, that would be a major concession on Universal's part. They're investing a lot of money ($40 or $50 Mill) in this movie, with rights for two more. If Fox has the rights to continue the TV series, that risks diluting the value of Universal's rights to sequels.

Besides, there are other parties involved:
Does Joss owe Fox his participation in a continuation or related series? I would think that Universal's contract with Joss precludes such an eventuality.
Does Fox have the right to a continuation or related series without Joss's approval?
Do any or all of the principal cast owe Fox their participation in a continuation? This has come up before: Pierce Brosnan was set to succeed Roger Moore as James Bond, when the network that had previously cancelled Remington Steele exercised their rights to his services in a mid-season resurrection of same. The film studio had already spent a lot of money on preprodution for the next Bond film, so they went with another actor. Fortunately for Brosnan, the studio came back to him six years later, after two Bond films with Timothy Dalton.

For a lotta reasons, I doubt Universal left Fox the rights to make anything more related to Firefly, for @least a decade. On the other hand, I'd guess Fox retains the rights to show reruns of the original series. This, it seems to me, could only be to Universal's benefit.

Keep the Shiny Side Up

Wutzon: Tea Leaf Green, "Freedom", from "Living In Between"

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 22, 2004 6:44 PM

SHINY


Quote:

Originally posted by YT:
On the other hand, I'd guess Fox retains the rights to show reruns of the original series. This, it seems to me, could only be to Universal's benefit.



Not if it retains exclusive rights to air reruns...we all know F*x will never show another Firefly ep -- heck, they didn't even air all the eps they had ordered in the first place! I would rather that F*x not have exclusive rights to the original eps, so that there would be a sliver of a chance that the original eps might show up on SciFi channel or something ahead of the movie to generate more interest...

Jayne, your mouth is talkin. Might want to look into that.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 22, 2004 6:58 PM

YT

the movie is not the Series. Only the facts have been changed, to irritate the innocent; the names of the actors and characters remain the same


Quote:

Originally posted by BrownCoat1:
At this point it appears the best option we have is to hope for two more movies and work to make them as successful as we can to insure the DVD releases.



The DVD releases are even more certain that BDM or sequel cinematic releases. Manufacturing & distributing DVDs is cheap compared to making or distributing a movie, and the payoff on the additional expense of doing a DVD is so good that almost nothing goes straight to the dumpster anymore. When the first reviews (to call them negative would be charitable) of Resident Evil 2 came out, the studio said financing was already in place for another sequel. Revenue from the current movie would determine whether the next one got cinematic release, or went straight to DVD.

There is a way that we in Los Angeles (don't know about other towns) might be able to help out the BDM, but we've gotta be careful not to make too much noise spreading this word. If the BDM is test released, we've gotta get passes & leave good comments. If it's tested in February, the studio is looking for things to edit, or possibly redo. If it's previewed in April, they're just looking for ways to modify the ad campaign (like add or subtract money). While getting to see the film early would be great, the important thing is to fill out those comment cards. Don't forget to say the movie is wonderful, but don't let on you're a fan; your comments will have more influence if they are perceived by the studio marketing dept to come from a typical moviegoer.

I'm putting the word out to my friends that, no matter what they think of Firefly, I want passes to any preview of Serenity, and I'm gonna remind 'em all next year.

Keep the Shiny Side Up

Wutzon: String Cheese Incident, "Valley of the Jig", from "On the Road - Summer 03"

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 22, 2004 7:02 PM

YT

the movie is not the Series. Only the facts have been changed, to irritate the innocent; the names of the actors and characters remain the same


Quote:

Originally posted by Shiny:
I would rather that F*x not have exclusive rights to the original eps, so that there would be a sliver of a chance that the original eps might show up on SciFi channel or something ahead of the movie to generate more interest...



Fox having the rights does not preclude their selling rights to SciFi channel, or anyone else, for a limited rerun (or original broadcast, for three eps).

Keep the Shiny Side Up

Wutzon: Psychedelic Guitar Circus, "She Caught the Kitty", eponymous

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, September 23, 2004 1:21 AM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


It is 20th Century Fox Film Studios that hold the television rights to Firefly, not the FOX television network. FOX TV have no rights to the show at this time. What that means is that if Firefly were to come back to tv sometime in the future, it would be produced by 20th, but it could air on any network that wanted to buy it, such as any of the NBC-Universal group (NBC, USA, Sci-Fi, Bravo, etc).

Please try to keep this straight. 20th Century Fox and FOX TV are owned by the same corporation, Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., but they are entirely separate business entities.




wo men ren ran zai fei xing.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, September 23, 2004 3:13 AM

BROWNCOAT1

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.


Quote:

Originally posted by 10481:
Thanks BrownCoat1 -- I'm sure you've had these discussions dozens of times, if not hundreds, so thanks for rehashing them for a newbie on the board!

Just FYI, I only just became aware of Firefly last month through Netflix -- it was recommended on there and had so many good reviews that I gave it a shot and was totally blown away. I have already ordered my own DVD set and I have converted at least one friend and am working on more.

Thanks to all who keep the dream alive!



Don't mention it 10481 (I feel like I am talking to a robot w/ your numerical moniker). I don't get frustrated filling in new Browncoats on what is going on and the lay of the land.

So you found Firefly on Netflix? Shiny! Glad to see that the positive reviews is encouraging people to find the DVD set.

Conversion is very important to the success of the BDM and any future endeavors for the property. The more people we can get interested in Firefly the more tickets the BDM sells. If we can make it successful enough in the first two weeks it is in theatres, the better the odds are that Universal will greenlight the other two movies.

Convert everyone you can; friends, family, co-workers, strangers, aliens, whoever will listen.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."


NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

FFF.NET SOCIAL