OTHER SCIENCE FICTION SERIES

Red Dwarf fans?

POSTED BY: ONEMANSHORT
UPDATED: Saturday, August 5, 2006 03:08
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 6526
PAGE 1 of 1

Monday, July 3, 2006 7:28 PM

ONEMANSHORT


I didn't see any other posts having to do with Red Dwarf, is there is one please redirect me. I'm just wondering there are any Dwarfers out there, seeing as there's so many Browncoats already Although I love Firefly (How could I not, being here?) Red Dwarf is my favorite science fiction show, actually my favorite tv show, and Firefly comes in second sadly. The shows remind me of each other in that they both have a sort of anti-hero, someone who would not kill unless it was necessary but still seem to be low lifes. I guess that is basically where the similarities end, except that both of them happen to be hi-larious. I guess the other similarity is that the fans both want another movie made, I say Serenity happened so please let Red Dwarf The Movie happen, that would make my year!

We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 2:55 AM

PHOENIXROSE

You think you know--what's to come, what you are. You haven't even begun.


I love Red Dwarf! I haven't been able to see much of it, sadly; working on collecting it now. But it is soooo expensive! Smegging hell!
And I'm sure Citizen is a fan, as he mentioned beer milkshakes in his sig. There were some Red Dwarf shenanigans in General Discussions awhile back, too. I didn't know enough to take part, since as I said I haven't seen enough of it.

**********************************

**********************************

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 12:06 PM

J6NGO1977


Yeh there is a thread somewhere but most people on here are from USA. SO not much is said about the Dwarf. Me I'm a huge fan. I just bought Season 8 on DVD and I would also love to see a movie. I heard about season 4 Grant and Naylor where going to New Zealand, with the original cast, to start production but I never heard anything since. I think it is down to budget.

Aaaaahhh Beer milkshakes and cold curry sauce for breakfast :) I have met Craig Charles as I live in his home town.

It's nice to hear from fellow fans :) 'Boys from the Dwarf!' :D

Fave Episode: 'Back to Reality'

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 12:15 PM

DAVESHAYNE


It's cold outside
There's no kind of atmosphere
I'm all alone
More or less
I'd like to fly
Far away from here
Fun fun fun
In the sun sun sun



David

"Not completely as well as the series of Firefly..." - From a review of Serenity at amazon.de

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 12:23 PM

ONEMANSHORT


Quote:

Originally posted by j6ngo1977:
Yeh there is a thread somewhere but most people on here are from USA. SO not much is said about the Dwarf. Me I'm a huge fan. I just bought Season 8 on DVD and I would also love to see a movie. I heard about season 4 Grant and Naylor where going to New Zealand, with the original cast, to start production but I never heard anything since. I think it is down to budget.

Aaaaahhh Beer milkshakes and cold curry sauce for breakfast :) I have met Craig Charles as I live in his home town.

It's nice to hear from fellow fans :) 'Boys from the Dwarf!' :D

Fave Episode: 'Back to Reality'



Yea, sad thing about Red Dwarf is alot of people here in the US don't even know about it. It was on PBS in some cities I think but that's really all the air time I think it got (as far as I know). I really want the big movie to finally be made so everyone can know about it. What was Craig Charles like by the way?

I’m a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 1:14 PM

SPERMBIRD



I love Red Dwarf & have all 8 series on video....which means now I have to upgrade to DVD.

The dilema I have is whether to buy the first 4 series without the special features in the one pack or buy every series seperately with the special features.

Once I resolve that I wil start the upgrade purchases.

As for the movie it seems to have fallen through about 3 times now (once cos the US studio wanted to use US actors for some of the roles) and I doubt it will ever see the light of day now

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 1:46 PM

GIXXER


Best thing for it. Recasting with foreign actors never works. Why do they always do it, though?

Keep an eye on the changing pictures top left. The bit on the Alliance ship's yo-saff-bridge. Crossy armed commander pointing at something? Rimmer.

They definitely should run it in America. It'll change eating habits forever. Beer, curries and Doners (the last of which you never actually taste because the curry's done your tongue, and you are only getting a kebab because you are so pissed that It Definitely Seems Like A Good Idea.)

I've tried them in daylight. Taste totally different and you can't manage the swooping move that enables you to engulf a big dod of the pitta, salad and the stuff. Never seems so messy in the dark...

G


I have a sudden urge to smoke a kipper for breakfast...

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 1:49 PM

ONEMANSHORT


Quote:

Originally posted by Spermbird:

I love Red Dwarf & have all 8 series on video....which means now I have to upgrade to DVD.

The dilema I have is whether to buy the first 4 series without the special features in the one pack or buy every series seperately with the special features.

Once I resolve that I wil start the upgrade purchases.

As for the movie it seems to have fallen through about 3 times now (once cos the US studio wanted to use US actors for some of the roles) and I doubt it will ever see the light of day now



Yea, I think the problem with the Red Dwarf fans is possibly that they are less organized in their support, and it was also so long ago that anything new has happened. It's a shame the deal fell through, but different actors would have ruined it. (Definitly get the special features btw )

I’m a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 1:49 PM

DAVESHAYNE


Quote:

Originally posted by Gixxer:
I have a sudden urge to smoke a kipper for breakfast...



Stoke me a clipper. I'll be back for christmas.

David

"Not completely as well as the series of Firefly..." - From a review of Serenity at amazon.de

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 1:57 PM

SPERMBIRD


Quote:

Originally posted by OneManShort:


Yea, I think the problem with the Red Dwarf fans is possibly that they are less organized in their support, and it was also so long ago that anything new has happened. It's a shame the deal fell through, but different actors would have ruined it. (Definitly get the special features btw )

I’m a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar



I was leaning towards getting the features its just that it will cost me twice as mich....but then again its only money.

The reason why the Red Dwarf fans aren't as organised as everyone thought the movie was a done deal, the show wasn't cancelled the creators went towards a movie off their own steam. As such everyone was expecting downtime and never really had the oppertunity to get organised.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 7:37 AM

ONEMANSHORT


Quote:

Originally posted by daveshayne:
Stoke me a clipper. I'll be back for christmas.

David



Best.Line.Ever.-Said in the style of comic book guy

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 8:30 AM

CITIZEN


Quote:

Originally posted by Spermbird:
As for the movie it seems to have fallen through about 3 times now (once cos the US studio wanted to use US actors for some of the roles) and I doubt it will ever see the light of day now

Because using US actors for the us version of the pilot worked so well.

They actually managed to ruin Red Dwarf, same set, same script, American actors...

Wrong I tell you! Wrong!



More insane ramblings by the people who brought you beeeer milkshakes!
No one can see their reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 11:30 AM

ONEMANSHORT


Quote:

Originally posted by Gixxer:
Best thing for it. Recasting with foreign actors never works. Why do they always do it, though?

Keep an eye on the changing pictures top left. The bit on the Alliance ship's yo-saff-bridge. Crossy armed commander pointing at something? Rimmer.

They definitely should run it in America. It'll change eating habits forever. Beer, curries and Doners (the last of which you never actually taste because the curry's done your tongue, and you are only getting a kebab because you are so pissed that It Definitely Seems Like A Good Idea.)

I've tried them in daylight. Taste totally different and you can't manage the swooping move that enables you to engulf a big dod of the pitta, salad and the stuff. Never seems so messy in the dark...

G


I have a sudden urge to smoke a kipper for breakfast...



Half my taste buds are already dead since I've taken to eating curries. I wonder if I should hate Red Dwarf for this, but I don't. I'm always complaining that food has no taste! I haven't quite degraded myself to having corn flakes with tabasco sauce in the morning, but it's getting there. Gotta love a good curry, America needs to know.

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 11:41 AM

MSG


Hey We ( my husband and I ) are in the U.S. and we both love Red Dwarf!! I must say both the smeg ups and smeg outs can leave me almost crippled with laughter and my husband still says ( when sounds go wrong) in perfect Lister imitation " we were going to sort that out in the dub"
and Danny in Tounge Tied is fab, but the end with Craig grabbing his ( well you know) as Danny hits the high note is just breathtakingly funny:)

I choose to rise instead of fall- U2

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, July 6, 2006 6:14 AM

ONEMANSHORT


Quote:

Originally posted by msg:
Hey We ( my husband and I ) are in the U.S. and we both love Red Dwarf!! I must say both the smeg ups and smeg outs can leave me almost crippled with laughter and my husband still says ( when sounds go wrong) in perfect Lister imitation " we were going to sort that out in the dub"
and Danny in Tounge Tied is fab, but the end with Craig grabbing his ( well you know) as Danny hits the high note is just breathtakingly funny:)

I choose to rise instead of fall- U2



Always good to hear from another Drawf fan! My absolute favorite scene from the series is in Holoship where Lister is talkign to the hologram that has boarded their ship and he eats his cigarette at the end. Brilliant stuff!

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, July 7, 2006 11:12 PM

WISHUPONAWASH


Another big Red Dwarf Fan here!

Rimmer: Step up to red alert.
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Cracks me up every time .

Buy the DVDs because there is lots of shiny extras to watch (I mean alot!). There's at least an hour long documentary for EACH series and just about every deleted scene you could want.

I'm also of the serious hope of a Red Dwarf Movie. Have a look on the main website ( http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/) to see some of the arly movie story boards. It's a case of money for Doug Naylor. Nobody (desipte excellent DVD sales) wants to invest in it.

Here's how it might of been http://www.stillflying.net/

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, July 9, 2006 9:08 AM

ONEMANSHORT


Quote:

Originally posted by WishuponaWash:
Another big Red Dwarf Fan here!

Rimmer: Step up to red alert.
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Cracks me up every time .

Buy the DVDs because there is lots of shiny extras to watch (I mean alot!). There's at least an hour long documentary for EACH series and just about every deleted scene you could want.

I'm also of the serious hope of a Red Dwarf Movie. Have a look on the main website ( http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/) to see some of the arly movie story boards. It's a case of money for Doug Naylor. Nobody (desipte excellent DVD sales) wants to invest in it.

Here's how it might of been http://www.stillflying.net/



Haha, I love that quote, another one of my favorites is:
Cat:Come on bud, you're not doing anything I wouldn't do!
Rimmer:What? You'd sacrifice your life for the sake of the crew?
Cat:No, I'd sacrifice your life for the sake of the crew.


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, July 9, 2006 4:34 PM

PLATINUMMONGOOSE


It may be true that most posters here are from the US, but that doesn't mean us yanks don't watch Red Dwarf!
"Over the years... I have come to regard you as people... that I've met."

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, July 9, 2006 8:09 PM

ONEMANSHORT


Quote:

Originally posted by platinummongoose:
It may be true that most posters here are from the US, but that doesn't mean us yanks don't watch Red Dwarf!
"Over the years... I have come to regard you as people... that I've met."



Don't get me wrong! I'm American too! Just a high majority of fans come from the UK, although that's kinda expected. Just like it would be expected that the majority of Firefly fans come from the US.

Cat: Maybe we should drop the defensive shields?
Kryten: A superlative suggestion sir, with only two drawbacks: one, we don't have any defensive shields and two, we don't have any defensive shields. I know that, technically, that's only one drawback, but it was such a big one I thought I'd mention it twice.


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, July 14, 2006 6:48 PM

ONEMANSHORT


http://www.makethesmeggingmovie.com
This site was posted over on the Red Dwarf boards, so I thought I would bring it over here. If you're a fan, it can't hurt to sign it. I'm sure we've all signed many various petitions for Firefly. It's a pretty well-written site, I wouldn't trust them enough to give them money, but that's just me. Please sign!


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:57 AM

SAHARA


I loved Red Dwarf. I don't think they run it over here (US) anymore, though. At least not in my area.
:-(



Blackbird fly into the light of the dark, black night.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:39 AM

SUNNYJ


Hiya, massive Red Dwarf fan here. Been a Dwarfer since i was about 12 when they showed the first 6 series on BBC 2 back in 1993, then had to wait 4 years to get series 7! (see there could still be hope for our verse,though i guess it never was cancelled).

Its been 8 years since the last series as the makers were holding out for a film. It got as far as an official announcement a couple of years ago. I dont know whats happened since, i guess it's got stuck in development hell. All the cast have appeared reguarly on british tv (Craig Charles on Corination Street...why!). Though Danny John Jules was in Blade 2 and Chris Barrie in the Tomb Raider flicks. Just like our beloved Firefly im also holdin for this one.

Favourite episode- DNA (series 4) where Lister fights a 7 foot tall, armour plated killer curry monster by becoming a one foot tall Robocop...genius.

'I said my left arm not my right! What sort of navigation officer cant tell left from right!'

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, July 28, 2006 9:52 AM

J6NGO1977


Quote:

Originally posted by sunnyj:
Hiya, massive Red Dwarf fan here. Been a Dwarfer since i was about 12 when they showed the first 6 series on BBC 2 back in 1993, then had to wait 4 years to get series 7! (see there could still be hope for our verse,though i guess it never was cancelled).

Its been 8 years since the last series as the makers were holding out for a film. It got as far as an official announcement a couple of years ago. I dont know whats happened since, i guess it's got stuck in development hell. All the cast have appeared reguarly on british tv (Craig Charles on Corination Street...why!). Though Danny John Jules was in Blade 2 and Chris Barrie in the Tomb Raider flicks. Just like our beloved Firefly im also holdin for this one.

Favourite episode- DNA (series 4) where Lister fights a 7 foot tall, armour plated killer curry monster by becoming a one foot tall Robocop...genius.

'I said my left arm not my right! What sort of navigation officer cant tell left from right!'



oooh I love 'DNA'. 'Lager the only thing that can kill a Vindaloo' :D

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, July 28, 2006 9:53 AM

J6NGO1977


Quote:

Originally posted by sahara:
I loved Red Dwarf. I don't think they run it over here (US) anymore, though. At least not in my area.
:-(



Blackbird fly into the light of the dark, black night.



Sahara can you get it on DVD in USA? or is it too expensive?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, July 28, 2006 9:55 AM

SAHARA


Honestly, I haven't even looked. I'm still looking for the Robin of Sherwood complete boxed set DVD in region 1 or 0!!
I'm behind on funds and boxed sets.

:-)

I will look, though!



Blackbird fly into the light of the dark, black night.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, July 28, 2006 9:18 PM

J6NGO1977


The Dwarf boxsets are stil pricey over here. So I can imagine the same in the good ole US of A. What tends to happen is they don't produce that many because they think people wont buy them. They then sell like the proverble hot cakes. SO over time the price never drops. I am 1 of those people who waits for a DVD price to drop (the Band of Brothers boxset first was put on sale for £40, about $70, I waited and waited , ok I waited about 2 years LOL and eventually got it in a sale for £20) but Red Dwarf price never drops. If you have trouble , I shouldn't say this, I'll rip you some copies and send em to you.

I tend to go to play.com. There I can get a whole season of curb your enthusiasm and Outer Limits for less than the price of a single DVD and Sienfeld which sells for double the price in the shops. However the likes of Red Dwarf and Dr WHo are still pricey :(

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, July 29, 2006 3:28 AM

ONEMANSHORT


Quote:

Originally posted by sahara:
Honestly, I haven't even looked. I'm still looking for the Robin of Sherwood complete boxed set DVD in region 1 or 0!!
I'm behind on funds and boxed sets.

:-)

I will look, though!



Blackbird fly into the light of the dark, black night.



Awww, I think every season is about $35. It is truly ridiculous the prices they put on them. I found mine in a Tower Records, so if there's one near you maybe you'll have luck (when you get the funds) I know they're also available on Netflix, so if you wanted to sign up there you could order them and then burn them. I don't think Blockbuster would really go out of its way to get Red Dwarf on its shelf (although I really wish it would, it would be nice of them to share such an awesome show with everyone...but they dont...losers)



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, August 4, 2006 10:16 AM

J6NGO1977


was robin of sherwood season 1 with Michael Praid? Later it was with Jason Connery

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, August 5, 2006 3:08 AM

JYNNANTONNYX


I looove Red Dwarf - I watched my first episode ("Psirens") when I was about 10 and I've loved it ever since.

The DVD extras are fantastic, I have the whole 8 series on individual DVDs and I'm very glad I didn't get the "just the shows" dvd. My favourite part is the commentary - [s]ruttin'[/s] smegging hilarious. They mention the movie a few times during the commentaries as a kind of running joke. I don't think the actors believe it's ever going to happen, as it's been on hiatus for such a long time.

Has anyone read the books? I think they're brilliant, and a great addition to the RD verse. My favourite would have to be "Last Human" as it gives Rimmer a chance of redemption *sniffles*

--
"It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think."

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
Riverdale actor Ryan Grantham killed is own mother, the curse of CW's Riverdale tv show
Sat, September 24, 2022 17:03 - 1 posts
Save JOURNEYMAN Petition!
Fri, September 23, 2022 17:27 - 14 posts
Are There New TV Shows This Fall You Must See?
Thu, September 8, 2022 09:12 - 45 posts
Marvel / DC / Comic Thread
Wed, September 7, 2022 16:32 - 36 posts
Binge-worthy?
Sun, September 4, 2022 19:24 - 79 posts
Worst Sci-Fi Ever.
Sun, September 4, 2022 12:37 - 157 posts
Room for a unique western flick on your queue, or is this the wrong crowd? (no spoilers please)
Fri, August 12, 2022 13:59 - 49 posts
Nichelle Nichols dead at 89
Tue, August 2, 2022 01:41 - 6 posts
The Unbridled Leftism, The Wokeism, The Ceaseless Nihilistic Sexi-Ista-Phobia Culture... It's All Finally, Thankfully, Coming to an End...
Tue, July 5, 2022 11:55 - 40 posts
2021 to 2022 another dead year for Scifi tv Shows and Block Buster Cinema movies?
Sat, July 2, 2022 10:54 - 8 posts
Good News, Everyone!
Fri, June 10, 2022 22:35 - 3 posts
Frank Langella Fired from tv series "The Fall of the House of Usher" is a short story by American writer Edgar Allan Poe.
Fri, April 29, 2022 19:04 - 2 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL