OTHER SCIENCE FICTION SERIES

Original Star Wars movies on DVD. Do you buy 'em?

POSTED BY: AURAPTOR
UPDATED: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 14:24
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 7746
PAGE 1 of 1

Thursday, September 7, 2006 6:18 PM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!


For a limited time only ( yeah, right ) On sale, Sept. 12th. 2 disc sets for each movie, with the original theatrical versions.

I'm tempted. Desite the train wreck ( imo ) that Lucas made of the whole remastered original movies, and the horrific prequels, does any of that change how you view eps. 4,5 and 6 ?



People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy. - Joss

" They don't like it when you shoot at 'em. I worked that out myself. "

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, September 7, 2006 6:24 PM

THIEFJEHAT


I will buy it. I've been awaiting my trilogy to be put on DVD.

Han shot first



Do not fear me. Ours is a peaceful race, and we must live in harmony.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, September 7, 2006 7:12 PM

EMBERS


I've actually been wishing the original theatrical releases would come out on DVD...I wasn't interested in the remastered version, I only want the original movies that I loved when they were first released in theaters.


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, September 7, 2006 7:28 PM

HAILFAX


i am very happy that the original is coming out on DVD and i will be buying it. It's nice to have the original on DVD and not the 'remastered' one. the rematered one just doesn't cut it for me.

We're deep in space, corner of No and Where.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, September 7, 2006 7:36 PM

PHOENIXROSE

You think you know--what's to come, what you are. You haven't even begun.


*sigh* Yeah, I probably will. I miss the original versions. Even though I'm a little irked at the franchise as a whole.


Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship. - Gautama Siddharta

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, September 7, 2006 7:53 PM

FREDGIBLET


I own the originals on VHS, so I need to get DVD's and it might as well be the OG version. I plan to buy, but these are going to be the only ones, I'm not buying the redone ones and I'm not buying the prequels.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, September 8, 2006 1:41 AM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!


Quote:

Even though I'm a little irked at the franchise as a whole.


My thoughts exactly. I grew up on the 1st three movies, and despite the Ewoks, I thouroughly enjoyed the whole story. Like everyone else, I was soooo excited when I heard the prequels would be made, thinking the backstory would be even BETTER! And the worst part of it all, there was a skeleton of a fanastic story that still survived all the ridiculousness that was pushed to the front and shoved down our throats.

( not bitter, not bitter at all....thinking calm thoughts )



People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy. - Joss

" They don't like it when you shoot at 'em. I worked that out myself. "

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, September 8, 2006 4:19 AM

BROWNCOAT1

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.


Glad to see the originals finally released on dvd, and yes, I will be buying them. I never had any interest in the so called "remastered" versions. Never saw them, never bought them.

Didn't Lucas claim he would never release the originals on dvd? Guess the alure of money was too much for him.

__________________________________________
Holding the line since December '02!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."

Richmond, VA & surrounding area Firefly Fans:

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/richmondbrowncoats/

http://www.richmondbrowncoats.org


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, September 8, 2006 4:35 AM

CYBERSNARK


I might pick them up if I can find them as part of a deal (in Canada, the land of DVDs that cost as much as a small car).

Thing is, I already have my "Perfect Editions" of all the Star Wars movies --the novels.

Quote:

Originally posted by AURaptor:
Like everyone else, I was soooo excited when I heard the prequels would be made, thinking the backstory would be even BETTER! And the worst part of it all, there was a skeleton of a fanastic story that still survived all the ridiculousness that was pushed to the front and shoved down our throats.

( not bitter, not bitter at all....thinking calm thoughts )

I know how you feel. Here, have some fanfic to cheer you up.

http://www.fireflyfans.net/thread.asp?b=8&t=16704
[/SHAMELESS PLUG]

-----
We applied the cortical electrodes but were unable to get a neural reaction from either patient.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, September 8, 2006 2:46 PM

PEULSAR5

We sniff the air, we don't kiss the dirt.



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, September 8, 2006 2:56 PM

PEULSAR5

We sniff the air, we don't kiss the dirt.


Quote:

Originally posted by BrownCoat1:
Glad to see the originals finally released on dvd, and yes, I will be buying them. I never had any interest in the so called "remastered" versions. Never saw them, never bought them.

Didn't Lucas claim he would never release the originals on dvd? Guess the alure of money was too much for him.

__________________________________________
Holding the line since December '02!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."

Richmond, VA & surrounding area Firefly Fans:

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/richmondbrowncoats/

http://www.richmondbrowncoats.org




And all the fans who complained about it. A lot of the tweaks he made didn't bother me too much. If you want to put windows in Cloud City thats fine, or digitally redo the Sandcrawlers, But I actually liked the Ewok song and I wanted to scream when the put Hayden Christianson in at the end of ROTJ.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, September 8, 2006 4:12 PM

REDRIVER


isn't there a full set in the works? all 6 episodes in one box? I'll be gettin' that for sure. hopefully this year...

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, September 8, 2006 4:36 PM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!


Quote:

Originally posted by RedRiver:
isn't there a full set in the works? all 6 episodes in one box? I'll be gettin' that for sure. hopefully this year...



Sorry to cross reference here, but wasn't it Gandalf who said... " I would not take the road... unless I had no other choice. "

Guess if we want the original's on DVD, we must pass on the one big box set offer.


People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy. - Joss

" They don't like it when you shoot at 'em. I worked that out myself. "

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, September 8, 2006 4:46 PM

RMMC


Quote:

Originally posted by BrownCoat1:
Glad to see the originals finally released on dvd, and yes, I will be buying them. I never had any interest in the so called "remastered" versions. Never saw them, never bought them.



Nothing I can add to this other than a lame 'me, too.'

But getting all six....ugh, no. I just want these three. Don't need the other gos se. There are some things I just will not be a completist about. That being the 'prequels' for SW and waiting for then to unbundle the Indy movies. I refuse to let that middle piece of trash in my house let alone actually shell out cashy money for it.


Huh. I guess I did have more to say than 'me, too.' Oops.

*****
RMMC

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, September 8, 2006 6:48 PM

NOSADSEVEN


I plan to, but I seriously resent being jerked around with all the "limited time only" crap.

There was only one scene in the remastered version (of Ep. IV) that I liked... the one that explains who Luke's buddies are. In the original, I always had this who are those guys? feeling, since their relationship was not previously established.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ain't. We. Just.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, September 8, 2006 7:18 PM

ADAMWANKENOBI


I pre-ordered all three back in June (sad but true).

Personally, I prefer the Special Editions, as I was introduced to Star Wars through Episode I and the Special Editions. They just seem to fit better with the prequels, which are the Star Wars films of my generation.

However, I also enjoy the original versions. They have a certain quality of their own to them.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, September 8, 2006 7:44 PM

KAYNA

I love my captain


Quote:

Originally posted by nosadseven:
There was only one scene in the remastered version (of Ep. IV) that I liked... the one that explains who Luke's buddies are. In the original, I always had this who are those guys? feeling, since their relationship was not previously established.


Huh? I do not recall this scene. Of what do you speak?

Quote:

Originally posted by Adamwankenobi:
Personally, I prefer the Special Editions, as I was introduced to Star Wars through Episode I and the Special Editions. They just seem to fit better with the prequels, which are the Star Wars films of my generation.


How old are you? I'm 21 and I grew up with the originals. I love them best.
And I don't think it matters which ones fit with the prequels better since I think the prequels are crap no matter what. I'm sorry if this offends you. I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just stating my opinion.

As to buying the unaltered trilogy on DVD. Hell yeah! I flat out refuse to buy the fiddled with versions on DVD. I only have the Special Edition VHS though so I kind of need these.
I came around too late to buy the originals so the SE were all I had access to and I could ignore most of the changes in those. Backgrounds and bigger explosions. Whoopdeedo.

I was rather upset by the Jabba scene (he would never allow anyone to step on his tail and Han wouldn't be stupid enough to try)in ep IV and the Han shooting Greedo thing but I could at least fast forward past the one.
Anyway, I was already a bit upset by those things and the replacement of actors and voices in the DVDs was just too much for me.

Sorry about the rambling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Op: You're fighting a war you've already lost.
Mal: Yeah, well I'm known for that.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, September 8, 2006 7:51 PM

PHOENIXROSE

You think you know--what's to come, what you are. You haven't even begun.


The problem, I think, is that the Special Editions are going to be included in with the Original Versions; hence "two-disk sets for each movie". But I'll probably buy them anyway. A boxset of all six? Eurgh!


Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship. - Gautama Siddharta

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, September 9, 2006 12:34 AM

ADAMWANKENOBI


Quote:

How old are you?


17. I was 10 when Episode I came out. It completely blew me away.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, September 9, 2006 5:04 AM

CYBERSNARK


Quote:

Originally posted by Kayna:
the Jabba scene (he would never allow anyone to step on his tail and Han wouldn't be stupid enough to try)

Han most certainly would, actually.

Actually, I read that as Han realizing that he's more valuable to Jabba alive, and reminding Jabba of that fact. Anyone else, Jabba would've killed (or had someone kill) on the spot, but Han is a major up-and-comer in the smuggling world; he can get away with it, and everyone present knows it. Han was rubbing it in Jabba's face, which was a bad idea, but wasn't (on its own) enough to justify his death. (And is likely one of the hundred-or-so minor annoyances that led to the situation in RotJ --note that none of Jabba's other enemies were turned into wall hangings.)

This only changed when Han still failed to pay back the money he owed, and started hanging out with the Rebellion. --I think it was the Rebellion that cinched it. A troublesome smuggler is one thing, but someone linking Jabba to one of the Empire's Most Wanted is a clear danger. If Jabba hadn't turned on Han, he might well have found Lord Vader and a platoon of Stormies knocking on (or "down") his door with. . . inconvenient questions.

Plus, the pre-Rebellion Han was much more reckless than he became under Leia's influence. At that particular point (having just lost Bria Tharen), he didn't really have much to lose.

-----
We applied the cortical electrodes but were unable to get a neural reaction from either patient.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, September 9, 2006 1:58 PM

KAYNA

I love my captain


That's a great analysis but it just doesn't ring true for me. The way I saw it, was that yes, Han had some leaway because of his previous smuggling record but at this point he's already in enough sh#$ that Jabba has put a huge bounty on his head. And he doesn't seem to have specified a preference for dead or alive which is always a bad thing. In Jabba's case, it means your not important ewnough to care about. And I just can't see him allowing anyone less powerful than him to step on his tail like that.
And I get your point about Han being reckless. He is indead, but that doesn't mean stupid. He knows just how much wiggle room he has with Jabba and he will push it to the limit because he enjoys it but he won't do anything to that might get himself killed. And, I'm sorry, I will always believe stepping on Jabba's tail is a good way to get very dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Op: You're fighting a war you've already lost.
Mal: Yeah, well I'm known for that.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, September 9, 2006 4:54 PM

MISSTRESSAHARA


I'll wait till they come out seperately, because you know after this limited offer is over they'll be coming out w/o the re-mastered attached to them.
And of course there'll be a boxed tin collectors set.
Then there'll be the boxed tin collectors set with the original behind the scenes footage that was shown (I think in the mid 80's) with production, modeling and such....
Then there'll be the boxed tin collectors set with all those plus commentary by the original cast and crew and hand signed mini prints of original artwork....
Then the box set with all that plus a very very limited edition with all the casts autographs inside (you know, Hamill's sig on a Skywalker pic, Harrison's on a Solo pic, etc)....
Then the box tin set with all that plus a blooper reel....
Then one more set with a re-mastered blooper reel....
A new set where they replace James Earl Jones voice with CH's voice....
Then a re-mastered set where they re-master CH's voice to make it deeper and sound more like James Earl Jone's voice....
Then there'll be a re-mastered/re-mastered set where Lucas puts in old footage that was edited out, so now you have a re-mastered set with new CG footage and the Original but now a set with scenes that never made it into the original because they weren't good enough to be in the original....
Then a set with those new/old scenes re-mastered seperately....
Then a set with the new/old scenes re-mastered and put in with the re-mastered set....
Then there'll be the set where we see the rare unknown footage of Chewie and Leah gettin' it on while Han was frozen in Carbonite....
Then the even rarer thought lost footage of Han and Chewie gettin' it on just before they're introduced to Luke and Ben Kenobi...........

I think my brain just melted.

I'll wait.

If I'm a bitch, then life just got interesting

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, September 9, 2006 7:05 PM

JUTIN


the thing that worries me about the original version DVDs is that they're being advertised as "the versions that were originally shown in theaters"

and the films are actually extra features on the 2nd disc of each re-issue with Dolby 2.0 Stereo Sound

are they going to look and sound as bad as Sci-Fi Channel's 1993-1996 airings of the trilogy?

or are they going to be the THX Remastered 1995 Editions that were released on Laserdisc and VHS?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, September 9, 2006 8:12 PM

MOHRSTOUTBEARD


I beseech you, humble denizens of the Intertron, do not buy these DVDs. I am sure George Lucas could use another pool, but you do not need to line his coffers any more than is necessary.

He is a charlatan. He is scamming you. Like a vile puppet master, he tugs the strings and expects you, as loyal marionettes, to dance for him, filling his black, icy heart with grim pleasures as he laughs maniacally and rapes your wallet for every cent it is worth.

Remember all that jazz about how they'd never release the original original trilogy again, presumably so people would be more inclined to lay down their cashy money for the special editions on DVD? Well, that was bullshit. But what's even worse is that now, when he says he's finally giving the fans what they've been clamouring for, he's still lying.

What he's actually giving us are outdated, non-anamorphic transfers that are over a decade old. Even bargain bin, bottom of the barrel B-movies have anamorphic transfers in this day and age, and for the original Star Wars trilogy to be released in such a sorry state is something of a mild travesty. Lucasfilm representatives claim it's because they don't have the resources to create a new anamorphic print of the original theatrical versions, but rest assured, dear readers, this is bullshit. They are merely cruel, unrepentant, greed-driven creatures undeserving of our pity.

Where now is the young, independent upstart filmmaker who brought us THX-1138 and American Graffiti, and who is this greying, clueless pillock fueled by avarice that has replaced him?

What I'm saying is Lucas is a prick and you shouldn't give him your money for inferior product.

------------------
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over."

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, September 9, 2006 10:09 PM

ADAMWANKENOBI


Quote:

Originally posted by Misstressahara:
I'll wait till they come out seperately, because you know after this limited offer is over they'll be coming out w/o the re-mastered attached to them.
And of course there'll be a boxed tin collectors set.
Then there'll be the boxed tin collectors set with the original behind the scenes footage that was shown (I think in the mid 80's) with production, modeling and such....
Then there'll be the boxed tin collectors set with all those plus commentary by the original cast and crew and hand signed mini prints of original artwork....
Then the box set with all that plus a very very limited edition with all the casts autographs inside (you know, Hamill's sig on a Skywalker pic, Harrison's on a Solo pic, etc)....
Then the box tin set with all that plus a blooper reel....
Then one more set with a re-mastered blooper reel....
A new set where they replace James Earl Jones voice with CH's voice....
Then a re-mastered set where they re-master CH's voice to make it deeper and sound more like James Earl Jone's voice....
Then there'll be a re-mastered/re-mastered set where Lucas puts in old footage that was edited out, so now you have a re-mastered set with new CG footage and the Original but now a set with scenes that never made it into the original because they weren't good enough to be in the original....
Then a set with those new/old scenes re-mastered seperately....
Then a set with the new/old scenes re-mastered and put in with the re-mastered set....
Then there'll be the set where we see the rare unknown footage of Chewie and Leah gettin' it on while Han was frozen in Carbonite....
Then the even rarer thought lost footage of Han and Chewie gettin' it on just before they're introduced to Luke and Ben Kenobi...........

I think my brain just melted.

I'll wait.



ROTFLMAO!

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, September 10, 2006 7:36 AM

KAYNA

I love my captain


Quote:

Originally posted by MohrStoutbeard:
I beseech you, humble denizens of the Intertron, do not buy these DVDs. I am sure George Lucas could use another pool, but you do not need to line his coffers any more than is necessary.

He is a charlatan. He is scamming you. Like a vile puppet master, he tugs the strings and expects you, as loyal marionettes, to dance for him, filling his black, icy heart with grim pleasures as he laughs maniacally and rapes your wallet for every cent it is worth.

Remember all that jazz about how they'd never release the original original trilogy again, presumably so people would be more inclined to lay down their cashy money for the special editions on DVD? Well, that was bullshit. But what's even worse is that now, when he says he's finally giving the fans what they've been clamouring for, he's still lying.

What he's actually giving us are outdated, non-anamorphic transfers that are over a decade old. Even bargain bin, bottom of the barrel B-movies have anamorphic transfers in this day and age, and for the original Star Wars trilogy to be released in such a sorry state is something of a mild travesty. Lucasfilm representatives claim it's because they don't have the resources to create a new anamorphic print of the original theatrical versions, but rest assured, dear readers, this is bullshit. They are merely cruel, unrepentant, greed-driven creatures undeserving of our pity.

Where now is the young, independent upstart filmmaker who brought us THX-1138 and American Graffiti, and who is this greying, clueless pillock fueled by avarice that has replaced him?

What I'm saying is Lucas is a prick and you shouldn't give him your money for inferior product.


Well this is all true but I'm starting to go a little batty here. See, Ive really been wanting to watch the original trilogy lately and I don't possess a copy in any form. I also didn't give him my money for the DVD sets so I feel slightly less guilty about filling the man's (and I use the term lightly) pockets a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Op: You're fighting a war you've already lost.
Mal: Yeah, well I'm known for that.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, September 10, 2006 8:10 AM

BELLONA


to me, there's only one thing wrong with re-mastered DVD versions of eps. IV-VI - the sound quality. most of the dialogue is drowned out by background noise, such as R2D2 or TIE fighters going by. pity i didn't know that before i bought the original eps. boxset...


b

www.postsecret.com
my other coat is brown.
I used to be snow white but I drifted - Mae West
1 conversion

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, September 10, 2006 8:25 AM

MOHRSTOUTBEARD


Quote:

Originally posted by Kayna:
Well this is all true but I'm starting to go a little batty here. See, Ive really been wanting to watch the original trilogy lately and I don't possess a copy in any form. I also didn't give him my money for the DVD sets so I feel slightly less guilty about filling the man's (and I use the term lightly) pockets a bit.



I would just rent them, then. As detailed on The Digital Bits, the Lucasfilm song and dance about being unable to create a new transfer is just a bunch of smoke - they have the means, they either just don't want to do it or they plan on doing it later and milking the fans for a little bit more dough before they do. Just like the song and dance about the original theatrical versions never being released on DVD. . .

I'm just very jaded, is all. I think Lucas is far too manipulative to trust.

I'm looking forward much more to the three-disc Blade Runner: Final Cut release that's set for 2007. Not only is Ridley Scott polishing the rushed '92 cut into a final, actual director's cut, he's giving the fans the original theatrical versions (complete with voice-over), as well as the '92 "director's cut". They're giving the fans what they want, and they're being upfront about it beforehand, instead of jerking everyone around.

PS: Also, all the Blade Runner cuts are going to be anamorphic widescreen, because they correctly realize that consumers are not schmucks on wheels.

------------------
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over."

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, September 10, 2006 5:41 PM

RAVENHAIR


In a word, Yes!

I knew that the original theatrical release would come out on DVD - money, money, money.

My son is annoyed that I won't buy the first two prequel movies (yeah, I bought Revenge of the Sith - I can get through it with the remote in my hand to skip anything I can't stomach), but will buy the trilogy that I already own.

*****
Mal:We're still flying.
Simon: That's not much.
Mal: It's enough.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 9:35 AM

MSG


well MisterG already had them on laser disc( the original unfooled around with Han shot first version) and the Lucas has too much money and time on his hands second versions on dvd so we chose to opt out:)

I choose to rise instead of fall- U2



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 10:11 AM

LITTLEALBATROSS


We got them yesterday. I have to say I kind of like getting both the SE and the original in one go since I've only seen about 10 minutes of the ANH SE and I am kind of curious (though I've heard about all of the changes, so nothing will be too surprising). That and it's nice to have a replacement/backup for the VHS boxset of the originals we have.

The prequels haven't changed how I feel about the originals, but then I wasn't part of the generation that got to see them in the theatres. I did, however, grow up watching the originals on tv (they were taped off some satellite movie channel back when VCR's were still a new thing). If anything the originals changed how I view the prequels (assuming that I wouldn't find as many problems with them if I hadn't seen the OT first).

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:03 AM

FLAKBAIT


I was a huge Star Wars fan growing up. Movies, books, toys, I ate it all up. But then the prequels came out and completely quenched my lust for it. It hurt at first, but then things like Firefly and BSG came along, and eased the pain considerably.

If they were selling the Originals by themselves, without the Special Editions (which I already have), and at half the price, I'd buy them. As it is, though, I'm not really in the mood to throw another fifty or sixty bucks into a franchise I've largely lost interest in.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:04 AM

ANNIE


No. Lucas has gotten all of my money that he is going to.

Sex and violence on the big screen, where it belongs.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:45 AM

EMBERS


Quote:

Originally posted by flakbait:
I was a huge Star Wars fan growing up. Movies, books, toys, I ate it all up. But then the prequels came out and completely quenched my lust for it. It hurt at first, but then things like Firefly and BSG came along, and eased the pain considerably.

If they were selling the Originals by themselves, without the Special Editions (which I already have), and at half the price, I'd buy them. As it is, though, I'm not really in the mood to throw another fifty or sixty bucks into a franchise I've largely lost interest in.


yeah, when push comes to shove this is the way I feel too...
I really loved the original movies when I saw them from 1977- 1983, but now I just feel kind of resentful...
and I have Firefly/Serenity to love
(and I still love the Star Trek TV shows)

luckily netflix can always rent anything I crave to see...



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 12:16 PM

LWAVES


I personally don't mind the remastered ones, although I too liked the orginal ROTJ Ewok song!!

As for the whole Han shoots first thing I only object to it because the effect they used for Greedo's shot was crap. It was totally the wrong angle and he may as well have been shooting backwards.

I really don't know about buying these versions though. I would like to see them but at about £15 a piece it's a lot for movies I've already got.

Now for once I am going to stand up for George Lucas.
Ever since DVD came about fans have wanted SW in one version or another. When the retouched versions came out the fans wanted the originals.
Now he has released the orginals and a lot of fans are saying he's doing it for the money.
Lay off the guy he's giving you what you asked for.
Of course he's going to make money, he would never give them away. And yes I do think his marketing is cynical with a 'limited time only' and all the rest of the stuff.
But ultimately the fans wanted and he delivered.

Now if he makes anymore changes to any of the movies then it's a whole different story.
If you take the 3 versions of the Original Trilogy already available. Then add the 3 Prequels in Theatre Versions and then Special Editions you are talking about 15 versions of 3 films.

That's a LOT!!

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 2:24 PM

CHRISISALL


Quote:

Originally posted by MohrStoutbeard:

I'm looking forward much more to the three-disc Blade Runner: Final Cut release that's set for 2007. Not only is Ridley Scott polishing the rushed '92 cut into a final, actual director's cut, he's giving the fans the original theatrical versions (complete with voice-over), as well as the '92 "director's cut". They're giving the fans what they want, and they're being upfront about it beforehand, instead of jerking everyone around.



That and Donner's re-edit of Superman 2 in November are the two I'm waiting for...

Bought SW enough for one lifetime...

Kneel before Chrisisall, time to die!

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
Riverdale actor Ryan Grantham killed is own mother, the curse of CW's Riverdale tv show
Sat, September 24, 2022 17:03 - 1 posts
Save JOURNEYMAN Petition!
Fri, September 23, 2022 17:27 - 14 posts
Are There New TV Shows This Fall You Must See?
Thu, September 8, 2022 09:12 - 45 posts
Marvel / DC / Comic Thread
Wed, September 7, 2022 16:32 - 36 posts
Binge-worthy?
Sun, September 4, 2022 19:24 - 79 posts
Worst Sci-Fi Ever.
Sun, September 4, 2022 12:37 - 157 posts
Room for a unique western flick on your queue, or is this the wrong crowd? (no spoilers please)
Fri, August 12, 2022 13:59 - 49 posts
Nichelle Nichols dead at 89
Tue, August 2, 2022 01:41 - 6 posts
The Unbridled Leftism, The Wokeism, The Ceaseless Nihilistic Sexi-Ista-Phobia Culture... It's All Finally, Thankfully, Coming to an End...
Tue, July 5, 2022 11:55 - 40 posts
2021 to 2022 another dead year for Scifi tv Shows and Block Buster Cinema movies?
Sat, July 2, 2022 10:54 - 8 posts
Good News, Everyone!
Fri, June 10, 2022 22:35 - 3 posts
Frank Langella Fired from tv series "The Fall of the House of Usher" is a short story by American writer Edgar Allan Poe.
Fri, April 29, 2022 19:04 - 2 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL