OTHER SCIENCE FICTION SERIES

Stranger Things

POSTED BY: G
UPDATED: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:54
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 4426
PAGE 1 of 1

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 3:28 PM

G


Enjoying - anyone watching/watched? Yes, I'm on the fence whether it's an homage or a rip of Spielberg, whether Ryder is over-the-top acting or just right for the camp effect, or whether I care about any of the characters beyond the weirdo and the cop. But I am still entertained after 3 eps and looking forward to the rest. And it feels so much better than anything on commercial interruption cable. And the young actress who plays the weirdo is really good.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:09 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by G:
Enjoying - anyone watching/watched? Yes, I'm on the fence whether it's an homage or a rip of Spielberg, whether Ryder is over-the-top acting or just right for the camp effect, or whether I care about any of the characters beyond the weirdo and the cop. But I am still entertained after 3 eps and looking forward to the rest. And it feels so much better than anything on commercial interruption cable. And the young actress who plays the weirdo is really good.


Which character name is the weirdo? Or the actress name?
I take it this is on some pay service?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 10:27 PM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


It's Netflix. The actress is Millie Bobby Brown, playing the character Eleven. She is definitely the best thing about the show.

It's only eight episodes. When I finished the fourth I felt like it could go either way. I might finish, or I could stop and not think that much more about it. I eventually watched it all. Nearly everyone else is saying it's great, I say it's just okay. Probably won't bother with the second season.

Depending on your view point, it's either extremely derivative of 80s movies, or it's an homage.



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:58 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


Yeah, I watched the whole thing and felt the same way about Ryder's performance; while everyone else was on 8 or 9, she was on 11. But I decided
that it added to the weirdness of the story, a cross between the Goonies and
the Twilight Zone. For me it was 50/50 about the whole homage thing, it was quirky enough to merit a look-see. It reminded me a little of HellBoy for some reason I can't explain. Maybe it was the Guillermo del Toro-style creature lurking in the upside/down.

I liked the lead boy and Eleven as far as characters and actors go. Matthew Modine had a very creepy part, but his character felt uneven and incomplete.
I liked the concept of the two worlds living within the same space, but with different rules (my son had a similar idea several years back, but he never
followed up on his idea).

For a really good, solid TV series get your hands on Orphan Black.


SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by G:
Enjoying - anyone watching/watched? Yes, I'm on the fence whether it's an homage or a rip of Spielberg, whether Ryder is over-the-top acting or just right for the camp effect, or whether I care about any of the characters beyond the weirdo and the cop. But I am still entertained after 3 eps and looking forward to the rest. And it feels so much better than anything on commercial interruption cable. And the young actress who plays the weirdo is really good.


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:06 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


Yeah, I heard how great it was (hype of course), but I found it just okay and watched to see where it was going to end up, plus I liked to the two
lead kid actors.


SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
It's Netflix. The actress is Millie Bobby Brown, playing the character Eleven. She is definitely the best thing about the show.

It's only eight episodes. When I finished the fourth I felt like it could go either way. I might finish, or I could stop and not think that much more about it. I eventually watched it all. Nearly everyone else is saying it's great, I say it's just okay. Probably won't bother with the second season.

Depending on your view point, it's either extremely derivative of 80s movies, or it's an homage.




NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:46 AM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


NOTHING about Stranger Things is original, neither the plot, the setting, the characters, or the acting itself. As with a lot of things that have a nostalgic nature to them, you have to be of the right generation or mindset to appreciate it the way it was intended. I'm from a couple of generations too early for this to mean that much to me, and I think many of the 80s films this tries to emulate were already getting too derivative halfway through the decade.

There is so much crap out there, that when something is merely entertaining, it gets hyped too much, and the most overused words in reviews and fan reaction are "brilliant" and "genius." Very few things deserve those accolades.



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:54 AM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


Quote:

Originally posted by SHINYGOODGUY:
For a really good, solid TV series get your hands on Orphan Black.


Two thumbs up for that recommendation.

It's not an absolutely perfect show, mainly because they've had to re-tool the premise a couple of times, but it has at least been logical in its changes.

Tatiana Maslany's performance alone is one of those rare things for which "brilliant" and "genius" are entirely appropriate descriptors.



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
The Flash, Iron Fist, Legion...we have truly entered the era of comic book tv
Thu, March 23, 2017 17:06 - 6 posts
Anyone else watching "The Last Ship" on TNT?
Wed, March 15, 2017 18:39 - 45 posts
Brief List of Butt-kicking Babes
Mon, March 13, 2017 18:49 - 65 posts
Defiance- does this look good or what?
Mon, March 6, 2017 19:46 - 62 posts
Defiance?
Mon, March 6, 2017 18:45 - 4 posts
Taboo - Thomas Hardy
Fri, March 3, 2017 19:09 - 5 posts
Alien Covenant last dinner clip
Thu, March 2, 2017 16:57 - 7 posts
Blade Runner II
Tue, February 28, 2017 16:44 - 9 posts
I dislike Superman
Sun, February 26, 2017 16:36 - 60 posts
Legion: Marvel-ous
Sun, February 26, 2017 05:29 - 2 posts
K-2SO Featurette - Star Wars Rogue One
Fri, February 17, 2017 20:48 - 12 posts
The Expanse
Sat, February 4, 2017 17:46 - 23 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL