REAL WORLD EVENT DISCUSSIONS

State of The Union 2019

POSTED BY: JEWELSTAITEFAN
UPDATED: Sunday, February 10, 2019 13:59
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 525
PAGE 1 of 1

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:44 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Tonight Trump is scheduled to give the SoTU Address.

This morning the BEA site still showed that it has not set a release date for the GDP Report, which was scheduled for 1 Feb or prior, before the shutdown. Hmmm.
This report would have been the first Estimate for the entire Calendar Year 2018.


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 7:30 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


How often do Democrats select the stupidest, most divisive, and biggest failure to be their rebuttal representative?

Dems do often pick the most stupid among them, so this part is not really out of bounds for Liberals. Ditto for most divisive, being the Party of Intolerance. But Stacey Abrams not only is the pinnacle of those 2 categories, but she is also the most colossal failure of the most recent Election.

Why select her?
Is this indicative of Dem lack of foresight, lack of vision, lack of future, lack of success, lack of prospects? What?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 9:03 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Anybody know who is the Designated Survivor?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 9:14 PM

6IXSTRINGJACK

[/i]


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
Anybody know who is the Designated Survivor?



Well... according to her tweet four hours ago, it's not Trayvon Martin.

Quote:

Today should have been Trayvon Martin’s 24th birthday – but his life was ripped from us too soon in a grotesque act of violence and bigotry. In his memory, we must recommit ourselves to ending racism and gun violence.


Do Right, Be Right. :)

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 6:02 AM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


Is Trump actually returning to what made him exciting? It’s easy to forget today, but back in 2015, there was something a bit thrilling about Trump’s campaign. Trump was an outsider who violated partisan taboos and threatened to shake up the system. He certainly sought to tap into that spirit Tuesday night.

“Together, we can break decades of political stalemate,” he said. “We can bridge old divisions, heal old wounds, build new coalitions, forge new solutions, and unlock the extraordinary promise of America’s future. The decision is ours to make.”

Trump spoke at length about his skepticism of foreign wars, and clearly displayed a spirit of frustration with the foreign policy establishment’s enthusiasm for endless military engagements.

This is refreshing and, in my view, laudable. But when Trump turned to specific cases, things started to look different. Intense, organized interest groups in the American conservative movement are deeply committed to a hawkish approach to Iran and to waging a continued cold war in Latin America. Thus, even while Trump touted the withdrawal of troops from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, he found himself in the very same speech laying the rhetorical groundwork for a war with Iran. He talked up the need to make peace with North Korea, infamous for human rights abuses, and then pivoted to saber-rattling denunciations of the human rights abuses of the regime in Venezuela.

There’s no higher theory at work here; it’s just opportunism.

To take another example, Trump’s denunciations of the pharmaceutical industry’s abusive pricing behavior will doubtless play well with the audience back home. Yet one of the major “wins” Trump scored in the new trade deal he negotiated with Canada and Mexico was coercing our trade partners into making new giveaways to the pharmaceutical industry.

More at www.vox.com/2019/2/5/18213041/trump-sotu-2019-address-low-energy

I’ll be honest. There were parts of President Donald Trump’s 2019 State of the Union that I liked. But then I remembered the reality of his presidency.

I liked when he called on the country to “reject the politics of revenge, resistance, and retribution, and embrace the boundless potential of cooperation, compromise, and the common good.” But then I remembered America is only 10 days past the longest government shutdown in history, which Trump triggered when he refused to compromise or cooperate with Democrats. And I remembered that Trump’s acting chief of staff just said the president is willing to do it again.

I liked when Trump said, “I want people to come into our country, in the largest numbers ever, but they have to come in legally.” But then I remembered that Trump killed an immigration deal — one he had agreed to, and that would have given him his wall while protecting Dreamers — because it didn’t cut legal immigration to the country.

I liked when Trump described his tax plan as “a massive tax cut for working families.” But then I remembered that more than 80 percent of its benefits went to the top 1 percent.

I liked when Trump said that he had “launched an unprecedented economic boom, a boom that has rarely been seen before.” But then I remembered that job growth was exactly as fast before he took office, and he was calling those numbers “phony” and “false” until the day he took credit for them.

More at www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/2/5/18213031/donald-trump-state-o
f-the-union-2019-fact-check


To set the stage for a speech about togetherness and comity, Trump hosted a lunch for television anchors at which he called Joe Biden “dumb”; Chuck Schumer a “nasty son of a bitch”; ridiculed Virginia Governor Ralph Northam for “choking like a dog” at a press conference where he talked about blackface photo in his medical school yearbook; and noted that John McCain’s book “bombed.” McCain, of course, died last August.

www.nytimes.com/2019/02/05/us/politics/trump-lunch-news-anchors.html

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:13 AM

REAVERFAN


Trump’s State of the Union address gives away the game: he fears investigations
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trumps-state-the-union-address
-gives-away-the-game-he-fears-investigations?cid=sm_fb_maddow


Early on in the president’s State of the Union address last night, Trump adopted a similar posture.

“An economic miracle is taking place in the United States – and the only thing that can stop it are foolish wars, politics, or ridiculous partisan investigations.

“If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation. It just doesn’t work that way!”

None of this was ad-libbed; what he said was exactly as it appeared in the prepared text.

To my mind, these 48 words mattered more than anything else in the president’s 82-minute speech. With these three sentences, the Republican effectively gave away the game: Donald Trump is afraid of what investigations might produce.


On the surface, the details of the president’s rhetoric fell somewhere between wrong and odd. There is, for example, nothing “miraculous” about the current strength of the economy.

What’s more, Trump’s argument is predicated on the idea that scrutinizing his scandals would interrupt economic growth. That’s absurd. Congressional investigations of Bill Clinton’s scandals in the late 1990s had no effect on the economy – it was stronger at the time than it is now – and there’s no reason to believe scrutiny of Trump would undermine the recovery, either.

For that matter, it was unclear why the president and his speechwriters thought it’d be wise to tie “war and investigation” together.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 11:15 AM

REAVERFAN


President Trump Used the State of the Union to Call for an End to Investigations. So Did Nixon
http://time.com/5522285/trump-economy-nixon/?utm_source=reddit.com

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 11:34 AM

REAVERFAN




Love is love!

4 winners and 2 losers from the 2019 State of the Union
A big winner: socialism.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/2/5/18212488/state-of-the
-union-2019-trump-winners-losers

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 1:12 PM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


Basically Everything Trump Said About the Economy Was a Lie
https://slate.com/business/2019/02/fact-check-trumps-state-of-the-unio
n-economic-miracle-false.html


At one point Trump tried to take credit for the boom in U.S. oil production, as if he invented fracking:
Quote:

And we have unleashed a revolution in American energy. The United States is now the number-one producer of oil and natural gas anywhere in the world. (Applause.) And now, for the first time in 65 years, we are a net exporter of energy. (Applause.)

After 24 months of rapid progress, our economy is the envy of the world, our military is the most powerful on Earth, by far, and America — (applause) — America is again winning each and every day. (Applause.)

Members of Congress: The state of our union is strong. (Applause.)

AUDIENCE: USA! USA! USA!

THE PRESIDENT: That sounds so good. (Laughter.)

www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-state-
union-address-2
/

It wasn't Trump, but George P. Mitchell, Texas oil billionaire born to Greek immigrant parents in Galveston, who was called the "father of fracking".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing#Shales

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 11:56 PM

REAVERFAN


Trump is a record-breaking liar.

The only people who ignore that fact are the Russian trolls, and a really dumb guy.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:30 AM

6IXSTRINGJACK

[/i]


lol. Whatever you say, Marcos. You can hardly string three sentences together to make a coherent paragraph.

The only thing you have in common with your avatar is that you both like wearing masks.

Do Right, Be Right. :)

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, February 7, 2019 5:20 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


Hey RF,

That "love" gaze that stupidly appears on Pence's face is either:

his last round of conversion therapy, or the "cabinet" meeting he had with
Mr. Giggles (you know I'm talking about Trump and Bozo the Clown here).

Ha! I kill me!


sgg


Quote:

Originally posted by reaverfan:


Love is love!

4 winners and 2 losers from the 2019 State of the Union
A big winner: socialism.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/2/5/18212488/state-of-the
-union-2019-trump-winners-losers


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, February 7, 2019 5:27 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


Word on the street was that the donald was none too happy with the speech as written (he said it wasn't hard-hitting enough) so he re-wrote the script.

This guy had the balls to threaten: obstruction of justice and Congress all in one "swift" stroke...Genius. This is the one time, I figure, that orange will
be his fashion statement.

And all on live TV...what a maroon!


SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by reaverfan:
Trump’s State of the Union address gives away the game: he fears investigations
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trumps-state-the-union-address
-gives-away-the-game-he-fears-investigations?cid=sm_fb_maddow


Early on in the president’s State of the Union address last night, Trump adopted a similar posture.

“An economic miracle is taking place in the United States – and the only thing that can stop it are foolish wars, politics, or ridiculous partisan investigations.

“If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation. It just doesn’t work that way!”

None of this was ad-libbed; what he said was exactly as it appeared in the prepared text.

To my mind, these 48 words mattered more than anything else in the president’s 82-minute speech. With these three sentences, the Republican effectively gave away the game: Donald Trump is afraid of what investigations might produce.


On the surface, the details of the president’s rhetoric fell somewhere between wrong and odd. There is, for example, nothing “miraculous” about the current strength of the economy.

What’s more, Trump’s argument is predicated on the idea that scrutinizing his scandals would interrupt economic growth. That’s absurd. Congressional investigations of Bill Clinton’s scandals in the late 1990s had no effect on the economy – it was stronger at the time than it is now – and there’s no reason to believe scrutiny of Trump would undermine the recovery, either.

For that matter, it was unclear why the president and his speechwriters thought it’d be wise to tie “war and investigation” together.


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, February 7, 2019 5:31 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


He left out that his "dick" grew 3 sizes plus two...better than the Grinch!
(I know, that was kinda low)


sgg


Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Basically Everything Trump Said About the Economy Was a Lie
https://slate.com/business/2019/02/fact-check-trumps-state-of-the-unio
n-economic-miracle-false.html


At one point Trump tried to take credit for the boom in U.S. oil production, as if he invented fracking:
Quote:

And we have unleashed a revolution in American energy. The United States is now the number-one producer of oil and natural gas anywhere in the world. (Applause.) And now, for the first time in 65 years, we are a net exporter of energy. (Applause.)

After 24 months of rapid progress, our economy is the envy of the world, our military is the most powerful on Earth, by far, and America — (applause) — America is again winning each and every day. (Applause.)

Members of Congress: The state of our union is strong. (Applause.)

AUDIENCE: USA! USA! USA!

THE PRESIDENT: That sounds so good. (Laughter.)

www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-state-
union-address-2
/

It wasn't Trump, but George P. Mitchell, Texas oil billionaire born to Greek immigrant parents in Galveston, who was called the "father of fracking".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing#Shales

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:57 AM

6IXSTRINGJACK

[/i]


You guys realize that you're going to have to keep this up for another 6 years, right?

That's why I didn't post here at all when Obama was president. I was tired out after all those GWB years.

Do Right, Be Right. :)

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:33 AM

REAVERFAN


I doubt he'll last this term. They're looking into his taxes, now.

AOC is right. He's scared. Removing him will be a blessing to all life on earth.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:55 AM

6IXSTRINGJACK

[/i]


Nah. He's not going anywhere.

Been hearing that every day for 2 years now.

Do Right, Be Right. :)

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:02 AM

REAVERFAN


You don't seem to grasp how long these things take.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:15 AM

6IXSTRINGJACK

[/i]


Apparently at least two years. Always learning something new.

Do Right, Be Right. :)

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, February 10, 2019 1:59 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Does anybody find it racist that women were told to wear WHITE in support of White Power for this Address?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
Space Station
Wed, August 21, 2019 18:00 - 2 posts
If you're wondering why Russia died and is replaced with Muh Racisim...
Wed, August 21, 2019 17:59 - 50 posts
FACTS
Wed, August 21, 2019 17:57 - 37 posts
In the garden, and RAIN!!!!
Wed, August 21, 2019 15:42 - 2561 posts
Who Is Running In 2020?
Wed, August 21, 2019 15:41 - 173 posts
Dear Abby's column for 6ix, Rappy, and JSF.
Wed, August 21, 2019 15:37 - 28 posts
Netflix The Family - anyone watching?
Wed, August 21, 2019 15:31 - 4 posts
Let The Hypocricy Begin
Wed, August 21, 2019 15:30 - 79 posts
Trump's Budget
Wed, August 21, 2019 15:23 - 209 posts
Trump Is Destroying Everything He Touches
Wed, August 21, 2019 10:35 - 283 posts
Trump 2020?
Wed, August 21, 2019 10:19 - 10 posts
Trump Administration Tried To Bury His Climate Study
Wed, August 21, 2019 07:03 - 32 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL