How private is my voter registration record?
Monday, September 20, 2004

I want to vote in the upcoming US presidential election, but I have a problem with an ex-girlfriend stalker issue and I want to hide my address. I'm hesitant to re-register because I don't want my new address to be public knowledge. My phone number is unlisted.

My question is this: How private is my voting registration record? Is it public knowledge?

How can personal information on a voter be obtained by a third party? I'd like some answers, because I have about a week or two left to re-register, then it's too late to vote.

Oh, and I live in Utah. Beautiful mountians, crazy Mormons, clean streets. Utah women are extremely pretty and they all wear giant belt buckles that say "Do Not Touch." I'm not kidding.


Tuesday, September 21, 2004 8:25 AM


Here, they print them and leave them lying around at every polling place in the county. If they were intended to be private, they are not. When you vote they check your name off on the paper, and you can see people's names, addresses, etc.

Also, read about a woman moved to a new state, applied for a state ID card (didn't drive, apparently). Within four days she had mail from the state Republican party.

Don't COUNT on ANYTHING the gov't does being done well, and precious little by private businesses. Good luck...

Tuesday, September 21, 2004 6:36 AM


Thanks for your answers. I called my county clerk and learned a few things. In Utah, voter registration is public info, but you can request for it to be private. Which I did. Cool.

Tuesday, September 21, 2004 4:15 AM


think your stalker would have to work for a camaign that wants to mail you something as the parties themselves do get lists of phone numbers of their own members so they can do the telemarketing etc *ref what bush campaign did to john mccain in southern states during their primaries*

Monday, September 20, 2004 7:50 PM


Voter records are kept fairly secret. I'm almost certain they aren't open to the general public at all. I might be wrong, so you might want to check local and state laws.


You must log in to post comments.