GENERAL DISCUSSIONS

What's on Mal's Sleve?

POSTED BY: LOTHIABETH
UPDATED: Wednesday, March 2, 2005 17:43
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 2942
PAGE 1 of 1

Monday, February 28, 2005 4:31 PM

LOTHIABETH


Ok Y'all,

I was re-watching Shindig last night, and during the opening pool-playing scene, I realized that something is embossed or branded into Mal's upper left coat sleeve. Even on slo-mo, though, I couldn't get a clear image of it.

Anybody know what it is?

Thia


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, February 28, 2005 5:01 PM

DARKJESTER


I'm pretty sure that what you're seeing is the patching up of the hole left when one of Patience's men shot Mal's sleeve during "Serenity". I don't think it's an actual patch like Jayne has on his sleeve during the pool scene.

MAL "You only gotta scare him."
JAYNE "Pain is scary..."

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, February 28, 2005 5:46 PM

HARDWARE


Quote:

Originally posted by DarkJester:
I'm pretty sure that what you're seeing is the patching up of the hole left when one of Patience's men shot Mal's sleeve during "Serenity". I don't think it's an actual patch like Jayne has on his sleeve during the pool scene.

MAL "You only gotta scare him."
JAYNE "Pain is scary..."



Evidence that you are correct is that the patch is there in "The Train Job". As we all know TTJ is the first episode that was supposed to be shown after "Serenity".

The more I get to know people the more I like my dogs.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, February 28, 2005 5:48 PM

LOTHIABETH


I just looked again. With the zoom. I think you're right. Which is really cool -- I'm used to television clothing that miraculously heals itself. You know, bullet hole in the jacket one week, perfectly intact the next....

An internally consistant universe. Another reason why I love Firefly.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, March 1, 2005 4:57 AM

BROWNCOAT1

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.


Definitely a patch for the hole caused by the gunfight in "Serenity".

I too like this small attention to detail by the costume people for Firefly. Nothing is more annoying then seeing someones clothing get torn or shot up and a couple of scenes later it looks like it like new.

__________________________________________

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."

Richmond, VA & surrounding area Firefly Meet Up:
http://firefly.meetup.com/9/boards/


NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, March 1, 2005 6:57 AM

INDIGO


Quote:

I too like this small attention to detail by the costume people for Firefly. Nothing is more annoying then seeing someones clothing get torn or shot up and a couple of scenes later it looks like it like new.


Agree. I noticed this a time or two in the normally careful "Stargate" series: "Oh look, the sarcophagos that cleans and mends huge freaking, smoking holes in a costume -- as well as restoring a crewmember back to life! Gotta get me one of those!"


I used to be confused, now I'm just not sure.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, March 2, 2005 4:58 AM

BROWNCOAT1

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.


Quote:

Originally posted by Indigo:
Agree. I noticed this a time or two in the normally careful "Stargate" series: "Oh look, the sarcophagos that cleans and mends huge freaking, smoking holes in a costume -- as well as restoring a crewmember back to life! Gotta get me one of those!"




I found that so ridiculous it was funny too, yet even that was not consistent. In one episode Daniel gets hit w/ a staff weapon in the upper chest/shoulder area and his uniform is trashed. He climbs into a sarcophagus and when he emerges the sarcophagus has been kind enough to mend his ruined uniform. Yet in the episode where Bhaal tortures Jack by repeatedly wounding or killing him with the knife and reviving him w/ the sarcophagus Jack's outfit still has all of the holes in it and the dried blood from the wounds.

Opps.

__________________________________________

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."

Richmond, VA & surrounding area Firefly Meet Up:
http://firefly.meetup.com/9/boards/


NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, March 2, 2005 5:28 AM

PURPLEBELLY


Watch Serenity for the reshot scenes, where the patch appears before the shoot-out with Patience

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, March 2, 2005 7:00 AM

ZOL


I was sure I noticed the `patch` there in `Serenity`.

My take on it was that it could have been where a `Browncoat Insignia or Company` cloth badge was during the war and Mal kept the coat afterwards but removed the insignia.

I guess someones going to have to ask Joss about it

Darin (Zol.)

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, March 2, 2005 7:14 AM

PURPLEBELLY


Quote:

Originally posted by Zol:
I was sure I noticed the `patch` there in `Serenity`.

AFAIK the patch does not appear in the internal version, only the reshot scenes in the broadcast and DVD version. This is a well-known, much-discussed wart, honest.
EDIT: via browncoats.com
http://www.fireflyfans.net/thread.asp?b=2&t=2968#49552

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, March 2, 2005 7:18 AM

ZOL


If you check some of the behind the scenes footage, the left arm can be seen with what looks like a brown circle and not a sewn repair - just as if somebody wanted to remove something - if you wanted to repair a gunshot hole I`m sure there would be better ways to `fix` holes

p.s. wasn`t he shot in the right arm? I`ll have to re-check

Darin (Zol.)

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, March 2, 2005 7:32 AM

ZEEK


Quote:

Originally posted by Zol:
p.s. wasn`t he shot in the right arm? I`ll have to re-check


Unless my memory is way off it was the left arm. Mal gets shot. Looks at the shot arm in disaproval and then raises his right arm with his pistol in hand and shoots the guy who shot him, in the leg.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, March 2, 2005 12:42 PM

LADYSILVER


Quote:

Originally posted by Zol:
If you check some of the behind the scenes footage, the left arm can be seen with what looks like a brown circle and not a sewn repair - just as if somebody wanted to remove something - if you wanted to repair a gunshot hole I`m sure there would be better ways to `fix` holes

p.s. wasn`t he shot in the right arm? I`ll have to re-check

Darin (Zol.)



Zol, the brown circle is the blood stain. The stain appears not only in the added scene of "Serenity" (when Dobson and the others board Serenity and Mal and Zoe are talking on the stairs - long before the shootout with Patience) but also in the "before" scenes in "Out of Gas" as Mal is showing Serenity to Zoe for the first time. I find myself looking for the stain in every scene Mal wears that coat!

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, March 2, 2005 5:43 PM

BLINKER


Quote:

My take on it was that it could have been where a `Browncoat Insignia or Company` cloth badge was during the war and Mal kept the coat afterwards but removed the insignia.


Or, it could have been his heart...

_________
Sliders: Gate Haven - http://slidersweb.net/blinker

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
Joss was right... Mandarin is the language of the future...
Sat, July 20, 2024 08:40 - 14 posts
Serenity is a Fantastic Movie.
Thu, July 11, 2024 07:30 - 6 posts
Why isn't this a bigger story?
Mon, July 8, 2024 08:27 - 3 posts
The Running of the Jaynes is a Virtual Run/Walk 5k between July 13th and July 28, 2024. A CSTS affiliate charity event.
Wed, July 3, 2024 03:43 - 1 posts
Browncoat Ball PA October 25th - 27th 2024 t-shirts available.
Sun, June 30, 2024 23:00 - 1 posts
In your opinion is there a perfect movie?
Sat, June 29, 2024 23:08 - 82 posts
Dystopian movies which are no longer Dystopian
Tue, June 25, 2024 14:09 - 2 posts
Why most Hollyweird 'Actors' (polanski defenders) are just messed in the head
Mon, June 17, 2024 20:25 - 14 posts
The one fim you want released on dvd!
Fri, June 14, 2024 11:06 - 34 posts
Victorian Female Batman???
Tue, June 11, 2024 04:31 - 48 posts
5 Reasons it sucks being a Joss Whedon fan
Sun, June 2, 2024 03:46 - 23 posts
Top 10 sci-fi battles
Sun, June 2, 2024 02:45 - 13 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL