GENERAL DISCUSSIONS

Star Trekkin' Beyond J.J.

POSTED BY: WISHIMAY
UPDATED: Friday, August 5, 2016 17:41
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 2349
PAGE 1 of 1

Friday, July 22, 2016 11:58 PM

WISHIMAY

THIS machine kills fascists- Woody Guthrie


It's good, it had everything it should have BUT lens flares.

It had the funny in all the right places, it had the hard-fought, hard-won battles and victories, it had the BS that makes it science fiction... but not the "I'm a lucky dumb shmuck vibe" of the last two. This felt like they earned it. The way they play out the key battle is sorta silly, but you will probably like the substance too much to care. It had the camaraderie, the right amount of action vs drama, and someone drinking too much exotic liquor.

There wasn't really a point in the movie where I was bored, and I felt like they did a good job on the visuals and actually making the bother of the latex to make it feel like space. It DID however feel a little bit disorienting with the up down sideways of it all, but I didn't mind. If you have vertigo, you might wanna wait. I did mind that I couldn't understand a third of the dialogue again, but I will look forward to Netflixing it and turning on the closed captioning.

You gotta give props to JJ for getting it started, but Justin Lin kicks ass at it. He really understood the material and what makes Star Trek fun.
In short, we all liked it, with no dissention. I liked the nods to the past and to those lost crew. The ending was pretty saccharine, but with so many movies being screwed around there, it was just fine.

It's A grade stuff, all right... We had a good time.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, July 25, 2016 6:48 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by Wishimay:
It's good, it had everything it should have BUT lens flares.

It had the funny in all the right places, it had the hard-fought, hard-won battles and victories, it had the BS that makes it science fiction... but not the "I'm a lucky dumb shmuck vibe" of the last two. This felt like they earned it. The way they play out the key battle is sorta silly, but you will probably like the substance too much to care. It had the camaraderie, the right amount of action vs drama, and someone drinking too much exotic liquor.

There wasn't really a point in the movie where I was bored, and I felt like they did a good job on the visuals and actually making the bother of the latex to make it feel like space. It DID however feel a little bit disorienting with the up down sideways of it all, but I didn't mind. If you have vertigo, you might wanna wait. I did mind that I couldn't understand a third of the dialogue again, but I will look forward to Netflixing it and turning on the closed captioning.

You gotta give props to JJ for getting it started, but Justin Lin kicks ass at it. He really understood the material and what makes Star Trek fun.
In short, we all liked it, with no dissention. I liked the nods to the past and to those lost crew. The ending was pretty saccharine, but with so many movies being screwed around there, it was just fine.

It's A grade stuff, all right... We had a good time.


You couldn't put this in Cinema Forum?

The good news: This is the first of the Reboot Franchise to not spend most of the film on Earth (it is called STAR Trek, not Earth Trek). Although the planet they spend much time on is very Earth-like.
I was hoping for great scripting by Simon Pegg, but was disappointed that all of Spock's quips were downgraded to the imbecilic level of Big Bang Theory's pretend smart tards. The script writers for the original series must be rolling in their graves, or at least cringing. I cannot imagine fans of Spock or Vulcans will be highly enthused for more than one viewing.
All of the non-space vehicles still have the exact sound effects of Star Wars world-based craft. (for those not familiar, Star Trek is supposed to take place a few centuries in our future where the characters have built upon the history and morals of us, while Star Wars is supposed to have taken place a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away, so perhaps the honor and courage they exhibit is part of us, bequeathed to us, something we can be proud of)

This is far better than #2, and better than I expected based upon the trajectory from #1 (Star Trek 2009) and #2 (Into Darkness). Bunch of action was OK. Don't think too hard about the plot.

Select to view spoiler:


Somehow a key character forgot where his ship was located, we should believe some cloaking device made him forget. And Spock/Uhura are working out some Soap Opera story arc - like 3 years after it would logically have occurred.



Not a lot of stellar films out the is year, so this is one I can recommend to a cinema goer. Didn't see much great SFX or Oscar worthy performance. Bones gets the best portion of screen time and lines, and Checkov is a bit slighted or minimized, and not much of Sulu. I have been spending some time watching Luther on PBS from BBC, so recognizing Idris Elba's voice wasn't hard, and he did a decent job with what he was given. And the "traitor" gets her comeuppance, standard moral formula.

Select to view spoiler:


An important piece of data for Trekkies, JJ reveals Spock's date of birth and death.


For some reason, The Captain didn't seem to get any this time out.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:59 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Some viewers have claimed that there was was no point of slow-pacing or action bogging down, but I did find some of the transitions and segues to be disjointed or fractured, more than I would expect.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:54 PM

WISHIMAY

THIS machine kills fascists- Woody Guthrie


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:

You couldn't put this in Cinema Forum?


Bunch of action was OK. Don't think too hard about the plot.




Meh, everything I post goes in general discussions. It's not like we all spend a lot of time trolling through subsections these days... Well, I don't.

And it's Star Trek, I don't think you should EVER think too much about the plot, 'cause hey, it's all we got. Same goes with Star Wars prolly too... It's not like they were ever true to science.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:13 PM

MOOSE


Heck, I don't even pay attention to what forum a thread is in, I just go by "Latest Discussions" on the home page.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:53 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by Wishimay:
Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:

You couldn't put this in Cinema Forum?


Bunch of action was OK. Don't think too hard about the plot.




Meh, everything I post goes in general discussions. It's not like we all spend a lot of time trolling through subsections these days... Well, I don't.

And it's Star Trek, I don't think you should EVER think too much about the plot, 'cause hey, it's all we got. Same goes with Star Wars prolly too... It's not like they were ever true to science.



Quote:

Originally posted by Moose:
Heck, I don't even pay attention to what forum a thread is in, I just go by "Latest Discussions" on the home page.


It makes it hard to find threads.
If you want your thread to be lost or buried after a day or so, please just state so at the beginning of the OP.

The Cinema recent threads list goes back a year, easier to find a related thread.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:25 PM

WISHIMAY

THIS machine kills fascists- Woody Guthrie


I actually like that things that don't get discussed eventually die.

Sometimes I think we'd all be healthier if there was a time limit on RWED discussions. Make points and then move on. Too much dwelling going on.

I bring a thread back up if it becomes relevant later on, my own self.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, July 29, 2016 5:48 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
I was hoping for great scripting by Simon Pegg, but was disappointed that all of Spock's quips were downgraded to the imbecilic level of Big Bang Theory's pretend smart tards. The script writers for the original series must be rolling in their graves, or at least cringing. I cannot imagine fans of Spock or Vulcans will be highly enthused for more than one viewing.


Thinking further on this, I realize that Spock has become a caricature of some character. I don't recall this in Star Trek 2009 , and Darkness was so forgettable that I'm not sure if it was also in there. I am not sure what character Spock has become a caricature of, but certainly not Spock of the original series or franchise. Perhaps he is a caricature of Yoda? Or maybe Sheldon or any of the other pretend pseudo-smart twits of Big Bang Theory? Or C3PO? Does anybody have a more clear grip or view on this facet?
This Spock seems to be present for little more than comic relief. I hope that is not the doings of writer Pegg, but Pegg's prior scripts have focused on the goofy humor - I just wish he wouldn't bring it to the ST Vulcan persona.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:12 PM

WISHIMAY

THIS machine kills fascists- Woody Guthrie


There isn't a whole lot of time to get into ANY of the characters' character. You don't have an hour every week to do that anymore.
Besides, what does these generations care for logic anyway...

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, July 30, 2016 3:14 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by Wishimay:
There isn't a whole lot of time to get into ANY of the characters' character. You don't have an hour every week to do that anymore.
Besides, what does these generations care for logic anyway...


Logic for the snowflake generation would make their heads explode.
But logic is a nice goal to reach for.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, July 30, 2016 5:19 PM

THGRRI


Quote:

Originally posted by Wishimay:
There isn't a whole lot of time to get into ANY of the characters' character. You don't have an hour every week to do that anymore.
Besides, what does these generations care for logic anyway...



It doesn't help you develop characters if two thirds of the movie are things blowing up either.

____________________________________________


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, August 1, 2016 7:32 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


One thing that was jarring but which I had forgotten.
This film starts off with NCC-1701 I believe.

Select to view spoiler:


later we see NCC-1701A


Reboot 2009 started off with the first incarnation of Enterprise, and now 3 years have past on their 5 year mission, which we could think represents the Original Series period. So this is still the original vessel christened Enterprise.

The other, original franchise history had the 1701 in the Original series, then 1701A's maiden voyage in The Motion Picture, then 1701B is in ST:V I believe, which would be where Scotty got zapped. 1701C's sole appearance is in ST:NG's episode "Yesterday's Enterprise" as Battleship Enterprise, and Next Generation's vessel is 1701D. After Frakes destroyed the D, I don't recall if they got an E (not paying attention to them).
So 1701A got scrapped in Wrath of Khan. But the reboot with Khan (Into Darkness) not only was still with 1701, but also didn't destroy it (IIRC).

I guess that seems correct for the reboot, but it was weird to see the inconsistency onscreen, at first glance.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, August 5, 2016 1:48 PM

WISHIMAY

THIS machine kills fascists- Woody Guthrie


Did you notice they used Sabotage by the Beastie Boys and that it was the same song used when Young Jim Kirk boosted his stepfathers car in the first movie???

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, August 5, 2016 3:50 PM

SHINYGOODGUY


Yes and no.

Yes, I like that song choice, but no I actually didn't realize it was the
same song from the first movie. You have a good memory. I guess I'll be
looking for that next time I watch the first movie.

Thanks Wish!


SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by Wishimay:
Did you notice they used Sabotage by the Beastie Boys and that it was the same song used when Young Jim Kirk boosted his stepfathers car in the first movie???


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, August 5, 2016 5:41 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by Wishimay:
Did you notice they used Sabotage by the Beastie Boys and that it was the same song used when Young Jim Kirk boosted his stepfathers car in the first movie???


I noticed they used the same song as when Kirk first meets Uhura in the bar. Is that the same song, or just another that they recycled?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
76th Independent Battalion Part 48
Mon, June 1, 2020 10:20 - 2114 posts
Call of Duty: Two-player Duos Mode Arrived at Warzone
Mon, June 1, 2020 04:02 - 1 posts
To any new folk, I apologize for there being incels on this board.
Wed, May 20, 2020 06:02 - 29 posts
Emoji Museum
Tue, May 19, 2020 01:16 - 69 posts
Escape From Tarkov, new hotfixes to patch 0.12.4: here are the various changes
Mon, March 30, 2020 21:12 - 1 posts
Host a CSTS 2020 Event! Registration is now Open!
Sun, March 15, 2020 13:40 - 1 posts
War Of The Worlds on Epix
Fri, March 13, 2020 10:58 - 26 posts
Real Estate...Vampire...Brides. Uh, ok?
Wed, March 4, 2020 14:46 - 1 posts
Thread of GIFs
Sun, March 1, 2020 15:27 - 8 posts
Thread of Font Colors
Sun, February 9, 2020 14:50 - 24 posts
Prodigal Son
Tue, February 4, 2020 03:50 - 5 posts
Has the FDA been complicit in intentionally mutating us??
Mon, February 3, 2020 20:11 - 33 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL