OTHER SCIENCE FICTION SERIES

Point Pleasant - New F*X show by ME grads starts tomorrow night.

POSTED BY: BIKISDAD
UPDATED: Monday, January 24, 2005 07:55
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 5442
PAGE 1 of 1

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 4:51 AM

BIKISDAD


Try to catch the new show, "Point Pleasant", tomorrow night on F*X. It's being produced by several ex-Mutant Enemy people, including Marti Noxon, Ben Edlund, Mike Massa and others. I don't know much about the show, other than that it will center around a girl who is half-human and half-demon (sound somewhat familiar?) and involves the whole good vs. evil thing. It hasn't been promoted much by F*X and they are putting it up against "The West Wing" and "Alias", so it will probably be cancelled after four or five episodes - as is normal per F*X.

Most people probably don't even know this show is starting tomorrow, so we should spread the word as much as possible to try to get as much viewership as we can from the start. Otherwise, well, it's on F*X. The quality of the show means nothing to them. All they care about is ratings. Low ratings = no show. Let's do what we can to support our ex-Buffy/Angel/Firefly friends.

Apathy on the Rise. No One Cares

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 6:45 AM

DIETCOKE


I'll be there. Problem is a lot of Whedon fans are watching Alias. Which one will they choose?

I wonder what they were thinking when they put it up against Alias and West Wing....

Let it get a following first and then put it up against the big ones.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 6:53 AM

BIKISDAD


Well, you know how F*X operates. It looks to me like they're setting it up to fail right from the start (just like they did with Firefly and Wonderfalls) - next to no promotion and putting it up against ABC's and NBC's strongest shows... I think it's (unfortunately) doomed before it even gets started. But I'll be watching anyway. Hopefully, we'll at least get another nice dvd set, like Firefly, out of it.

Apathy on the Rise. No One Cares.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 9:45 AM

SPARRONI


The show will actually run on Thursdays. I'm not quite sure why they decided to premiere it on Wednesday, but the second episode will run in it's usual spot the following night. I hope the show is good, I've been a big fan of Ben Edlund since he started doing his comic book 'The Tick.'

----------------------
"Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people."

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 10:34 AM

BIKISDAD


Quote:

Originally posted by SPARRONI:
The show will actually run on Thursdays. I'm not quite sure why they decided to premiere it on Wednesday, but the second episode will run in it's usual spot the following night. I hope the show is good, I've been a big fan of Ben Edlund since he started doing his comic book 'The Tick.'

----------------------
"Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people."




I didn't know that, but it's great news - much less competition on Thursday. Maybe it will have a chance after all.

And yes, Ben is a great writer. He wrote a couple of the Firefly eps and also a few of the really good eps from Angel's last season. "The Tick" dvd set is also hilarious and well worth the modest cost. Only, like Firefly, it was cancelled too early and there are only nine episodes.

Apathy on the Rise. No One Cares.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 12:22 PM

HJERMSTED


Quote:

Originally posted by bikisdad:
Well, you know how F*X operates. It looks to me like they're setting it up to fail right from the start (just like they did with Firefly and Wonderfalls) - next to no promotion and putting it up against ABC's and NBC's strongest shows... I think it's (unfortunately) doomed before it even gets started. But I'll be watching anyway. Hopefully, we'll at least get another nice dvd set, like Firefly, out of it.

Apathy on the Rise. No One Cares.




I've been seeing tons of commercials for Point Pleasant... on Fox and on its subsidiary stations (Fox Sports, FX, etc.)

Now that reality TV shows are dying in droves, perhaps Fox will recognize the need to nurture their one-hour dramas for a time.

Point Pleasant will be on Thursdays when it begins its regular run so Alias and Lost fans are encouraged to check PP out.

mattro

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 12:44 PM

BIKISDAD


Wow. I've only seen maybe three commercials over the last month for it on the actual F*X network (which I admittedly don't watch much because, well, why would I?). Maybe they're promoting it more on the cable channels (which I don't get at all).

I hope you're right and they do give it a chance. This is probably going to be the closest thing we get to the "Whedon-verse" on tv again. Most of the ME talent is spread out on other shows and Joss doesn't seem interested in doing tv anymore. Who could blame him after the way he was treated by the WB and F*X?

Apathy on the Rise. No One Cares.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 4:28 PM

OLDFAN45


Quote:

Originally posted by bikisdad:
This is probably going to be the closest thing we get to the "Whedon-verse" on tv again. Most of the ME talent is spread out on other shows and Joss doesn't seem interested in doing tv anymore. Who could blame him after the way he was treated by the WB and F*X?



Gods please forfend that we get all hooked and have nowhere to go with it again. The comment about no interest in TV strikes terror into my heart. I can't wait two years between Firefly movies! Back to the small screen!! Hup!!

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, January 19, 2005 4:20 AM

SITTINGDUCK


There's a fair amount of advertising for it during NFC football. IIRC there was also a full-length article in TV Guide. Not sure if I'd watch it myself. From the description in the above mentioned article, it sounds a bit too soap opera-ish for my tastes.

You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney. If you cannot afford one, tough noogies!

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, January 19, 2005 8:13 AM

CYBERSNARK


Quote:

Originally posted by SPARRONI:
The show will actually run on Thursdays. I'm not quite sure why they decided to premiere it on Wednesday

Isn't it obvious? They're trying to make as many people miss the premiere as possible, and catch the second ep going "WTF?". SOP for Fox, it seems.

Hopefully I can catch it on Global (Fox's Canadian b*tch), so as not to deal with them directly.

-----
We applied the cortical electrodes but were unable to get a neural reaction from either patient.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, January 19, 2005 6:34 PM

OLDFAN45


OKay, it's aired...this first ep of Point Pleasant...this long-awaited Marti Noxon brianchild...and I fear it's just not up to the task of holding my own personal interest. Wasn't anything WRONG with it, exactly, just nothing too terribly RIGHT. Cool teaser, though...I have never watched it rain on the surface of water before, and that was shiny.

To me it felt like an ep of The OC that got into the Whedonverse by mistake, and all the hot young muffins were a tad confused by the whole thing.


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, January 19, 2005 6:36 PM

MACBAKER


FX has been running commercials for Point Pleasant during airings of Buffy for weeks (both the morning block of two episodes, and the afternoon block). They are at least trying to cater to the right audience.

I watched the first hour tonight. The main character (A short little blonde that looks like a more attractive SMG) seems to be the product of the Devil/Satan/whatever and a human woman. The plot seems to revolve around her destiny being an instrument of the devil, but her human side is fighting what she is. She does have a stylistic 666 symbol in the iris of one of her eyes. Hmmmm.

Those who decided to skip it for Alias wednesday, should tune in thurday. I'm sure there will be a recap of wednesday's episode, and thurday's Ep. looks like it will reveal much more. The pilot shown wednesday, seemed like more of a tease for thurday's episode.

Personally, I'm not sure if this series is worth watching regularly, but it's premise is interesting enough I'll give it a chance.

P.S. Doesn't Tim Minear have a new series premiering soon? Some sort of cross between Alias and X-files?
Anyone know when this is going to be shown?

I'd given some thought to movin' off the edge -- not an ideal location -- thinkin' a place in the middle.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, January 19, 2005 6:56 PM

REEQUEEN


So....we watched Point Pleasant tonight. I hope it grows, the idea itself has a lot of potential. So far, though, not so much with the funny, or quirky.

I will give it a chance, because I want it to be better. I really, really, really, do.



"He has a gorm horizon. All gorm that falls past it is lost forever." UserFriendly http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20050114

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, January 19, 2005 7:56 PM

TOMANTA


Quote:

Originally posted by MacBaker:

P.S. Doesn't Tim Minear have a new series premiering soon? Some sort of cross between Alias and X-files?
Anyone know when this is going to be shown?



Yes, he does. No idea when it will start. It's not really his show... actually, story goes like this.

Fox had a show, didn't quite like it and asked Tim to rework it. He changed pretty much EVERYTHING about it (now it's a cross between Alias and X-files). One of the regulars on the show will be the one & only Adam Baldwin (not the only Baldwin out there, but the only one that matters :).

The original premise reminds me of something that I had heard Nathan Fillion's name attached to not too long after Firefly's too-early demise.

The original premise... well, think 21 Jump Street if Johnny Depp was a woman.

"FOX! Where the shit hits the fans." - Tim Minear

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, January 20, 2005 4:45 AM

BIKISDAD


Quote:

Originally posted by ReeQueen:
So....we watched Point Pleasant tonight. I hope it grows, the idea itself has a lot of potential. So far, though, not so much with the funny, or quirky.

I will give it a chance, because I want it to be better. I really, really, really, do.



"He has a gorm horizon. All gorm that falls past it is lost forever." UserFriendly http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20050114



Yep, I was a bit disappointed too that there was no humor in the pilot. So far the show seems to have more in common with 90210 than it does with BtVS - more of a teen soap opera than anything. Still, I'm going to keep watching it. Ben Edlund is involved in the show. If he has any influence at all, it will get interesting at some point.

Apathy on the Rise. No One Cares.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, January 20, 2005 5:23 AM

CYBERSNARK


I sensed Fox's hand in this. Lots of young and Beautiful people, in various stage of undress, having lots of sex. Anybody know how much this resembled the original idea before Fox's anti-censors got to it?

There was a plot, but it was so complicated right out of the gate, and with so few characters who I could, y'know, give a crap for, that it just didn't engage me. I'll tune in for a while (nothing else to watch on Thursdays until 10), but I'm hoping for improvement.

-----
We applied the cortical electrodes but were unable to get a neural reaction from either patient.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, January 20, 2005 5:38 AM

WILLOWSDAD


Sadly unimpressed.

I really hoped it would be better than what I saw. I agree that Fox is probably sticking it's nose into areas it shouldn't, like the inate creativity of the former ME people.

Don't think it has a chance run in the long and won't waste my time.

Rosemary's Baby meets the cheesy teen angst movie genre.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, January 20, 2005 7:20 AM

REEQUEEN


BikisDad:
Quote:

Yep, I was a bit disappointed too that there was no humor in the pilot. So far the show seems to have more in common with 90210 than it does with BtVS - more of a teen soap opera than anything. Still, I'm going to keep watching it. Ben Edlund is involved in the show. If he has any influence at all, it will get interesting at some point.


I was going to say that! Compare Point Pleasant to 90210, I mean, but I was trying (very hard) to be....nice? neutral? I dunno.....

Of course, anyone who has read Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, already knows the concept pretty well. Point Pleasant just hasn't hit us with the funny, yet.

If it ever will.

Anyway, I will watch tonight and see how far I get sucked in. If it does better this evening, I'll watch next week, if not....well, I may have to give up.



"He has a gorm horizon. All gorm that falls past it is lost forever." UserFriendly http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20050114

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, January 20, 2005 9:01 AM

GORRAMREAVERS


I will watch tonight too. The first episode seemed kinda scattered, some humor would have helped too.
Not sure I like the male lead as an actor (the guy that saved her on the beach)...I dunno..maybe I will warm up to him. The gal that plays the female lead is absolutely gorgeous and seems to have some talent.
I also liked that they casted Richard Burgi in a main role, best known (by us anyway) as the rogue cop in the Firefly episode 'The Message'.
He is a good kisser.

"..it is my very favorite gun."

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, January 20, 2005 10:20 AM

REEQUEEN


Gorramreavers:
Quote:

Not sure I like the male lead as an actor (the guy that saved her on the beach)...I dunno..maybe I will warm up to him. The gal that plays the female lead is absolutely gorgeous and seems to have some talent.


Agreed. I also enjoyed Grant Show, oh he of Melrose Place fame (and I'm so ashamed I know that)....he seems to have a depth of menace that could be interesting and I might eventually find him sexy. Whereas he has always seemed one of those not-very-interesting aesthetic types.

Quote:

I also liked that they casted Richard Burgi in a main role, best known (by us anyway) as the rogue cop in the Firefly episode 'The Message'.
He is a good kisser.



Don't know about the kissin', but my Hey, It's That Guy question is answered!

Thanks!


"He has a gorm horizon. All gorm that falls past it is lost forever." UserFriendly http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20050114

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, January 20, 2005 10:24 AM

VENA


I had no idea there were that many hot bodies in Jersey. If I had known… well I still don’t want to go back there.

It was like watching a commercial for the OC with really crazy people. No humor, no real suspense. I’ll be watching it again on Thursday because I’m masochistic like that. If the tides turn and a plot develops that pulls my interest I will post again.

I was thinking too that it was like Good Omins without the funny. I kept looking for Crawly to show up. Man he was cool.


Because I am an American. And what does an American want? Democracy?... Capitalism. I want to sell out and settle down. For one day only, it's a blue light special on Aisle Three. My wormhole technology... and a free set of steak knives... for all the tea in China. And anything you can imagine to pay me... welcome to my cold war.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, January 21, 2005 8:27 AM

BIKISDAD


Not impressed so far, except for the Grant Show character. He seems like somebody from the Joss-verse. The rest of them I don't care for at all. I'm going to keep watching though, to see if it develops. At least there's nothing else on in the same time slot that's worth watching.

Apathy on the Rise. No One Cares.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, January 21, 2005 4:51 PM

AX


I caught Thursday's episode and have to say I find myself torn. On the one hand the writing is seriously stilted and not at all funny.

But there are some really interesting ideas buried in there. The main character interests me, and I find myself actually caring about her to some extent. Her 'watcher', as I find myself thinking of him, is downright evil and very chilling. And the show isn't pulling punches. What happens to the priest at the end of the show...very well done. I don't know about Wensday's ep, but this episode didn't seem too soap operay. There were hints of it--the relationships between the 'popular' girl, the lifeguard, and the guy going out with the popular girl(sorry--I don't have names down at all yet)--but none of that seemed to take up anymore than five minutes. There is of course also the attraction between Christinia and the guy going out with the popular girl--but I'd argue that this raises interesting questions about thier attraction and whether or not it is real, and through that it forces Christinia to face what she is.

So in conclusion, tons of interesting ideas. Badly written dialouge. Next week looks to take things up another notch, so I think I'll be watching a while longer.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, January 21, 2005 6:12 PM

DIETCOKE


I live in NJ, and no there are not that many hot male or female bodies in the state. It's called fiction or is it called fantasy?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, January 24, 2005 7:55 AM

GORRAMREAVERS


Quote:

Originally posted by ReeQueen:
Gorramreavers:
Quote:

Not sure I like the male lead as an actor (the guy that saved her on the beach)...I dunno..maybe I will warm up to him. The gal that plays the female lead is absolutely gorgeous and seems to have some talent.


Agreed. I also enjoyed Grant Show, oh he of Melrose Place fame (and I'm so ashamed I know that)....he seems to have a depth of menace that could be interesting and I might eventually find him sexy. Whereas he has always seemed one of those not-very-interesting aesthetic types.

Quote:

I also liked that they casted Richard Burgi in a main role, best known (by us anyway) as the rogue cop in the Firefly episode 'The Message'.
He is a good kisser.



Don't know about the kissin', but my Hey, It's That Guy question is answered!

Thanks!


"He has a gorm horizon. All gorm that falls past it is lost forever." UserFriendly http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20050114




heheh...the 'he is a good kisser' line is from Nathan during one of the commentarys on the Firefly DVD's, refering to Richard Burgi.

"..it is my very favorite gun."

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
The Tick
Sun, January 31, 2021 20:57 - 3 posts
2021 to 2022 another dead year for Scifi tv Shows and Block Buster Cinema movies?
Sun, January 31, 2021 09:45 - 4 posts
Super bored...
Sat, December 26, 2020 15:03 - 1 posts
Utopia (TV Series)
Tue, December 22, 2020 20:54 - 9 posts
Are There New TV Shows This Fall You Must See?
Sun, December 13, 2020 18:58 - 33 posts
Galaxy Quest
Thu, October 22, 2020 13:19 - 52 posts

Thu, October 22, 2020 13:12 - 1 posts
The Mandalorian - pretty good ! But men ? - BAD !
Sun, September 27, 2020 21:20 - 35 posts
BLM Discovery Free on 24 September?
Fri, September 25, 2020 15:16 - 4 posts
Prayers Out To Michael Hogan
Thu, September 24, 2020 07:06 - 4 posts
Star Trek Discovery is AWESOME!
Sat, September 19, 2020 02:10 - 34 posts
Binge-worthy?
Mon, September 14, 2020 15:56 - 49 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL