CINEMA

2014 movies: Retched Comedies, Reboots, Recycles, oh and WWII....again.

POSTED BY: WISHIMAY
UPDATED: Monday, November 24, 2014 17:41
SHORT URL: http://bit.ly/1cwshmR
VIEWED: 5200
PAGE 1 of 1

Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:34 AM

WISHIMAY

THIS machine kills fascists- Woody Guthrie


http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/-/2014/#.UnJ0-swo7cc

So what do you WANT to see?

On our list for the kiddies stuff
How to train your Dragon 2
Night at the Museum 3

On Hubby's list
I, Frankenstein
The Hobbit 2
Sin City 2
rentals...
Toxic Avenger
Captain America

My list
Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit (has Chris Pine?)
Divergent: sounds interesting but looks teen fan-girl-ish...so I dunno..


Is there anything you know of that isn't posted on the site?


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:05 PM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


I want to see Jupiter Ascending, coming July 25.

It sounds Firefly-ish, even though an article promises "A Sci-Fi Space Opera Unlike Any You've Seen Before".
Quote:

Written and directed by the Matrix's Andy and Lana Wachowski, Jupiter Ascending centers on an impoverished maid named Jupiter Jones ( Mila Kunis ). As a human, she is considered near the bottom of the universe's international ladder, and yet the Queen of the Universe sees her as such a threat that she sends a genetically engineered bounty hunter (Tatum Channing) to track Jupiter down, and kill her. www.cinemablend.com/new/Wachowskis-Promise-Jupiter-Ascending-Sci-Fi-Sp
ace-Opera-Unlike-Any-You-Seen-40080.html

If only Summer Glau had been cast in Mila Kunis' role . . .

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:00 PM

WISHIMAY

THIS machine kills fascists- Woody Guthrie


Wait so is it an actual "opera" or was that just a trendy description?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:11 PM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


Quote:

Originally posted by Wishimay:
Wait, so is it an actual "opera" or was that just a trendy description?

Firefly and Jupiter Ascending (2014) are Space Opera, a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes romantic, often melodramatic adventure, set mainly or entirely in outer space, usually involving conflict between opponents possessing advanced technologies and abilities. The term has no relation to music but is instead a play on the terms "soap opera" or "horse opera" for Western bang-bang-shoot-em-up movies.

There is so much more about the history of Space Opera at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:49 PM

WISHIMAY

THIS machine kills fascists- Woody Guthrie


Duhhh Ooohkey...

New one by me...

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 1, 2013 3:03 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


Okay, The Wachowski Brothers!?, Lana and Andy get a vote from me for 2 reasons - The Matrix and Cloud Atlas (The Matrix because, well, it's the Matrix and Cloud Atlas because it had everything you could think a great sci-fi thriller should have and then some, a masterpiece that played like a symphonic tour de force. My only regret was that I did not see it in the theater. Goramit! (is it one M or two).

But it sounds like a sci-fi version of Snow White. But I'm there because, after Matrix: Revolutions, they have redeemed themselves with the aforementioned Cloud Atlas.


SGG

Quote:

Originally posted by second:
I want to see Jupiter Ascending, coming July 25.

It sounds Firefly-ish, even though an article promises "A Sci-Fi Space Opera Unlike Any You've Seen Before".
Quote:

Written and directed by the Matrix's Andy and Lana Wachowski, Jupiter Ascending centers on an impoverished maid named Jupiter Jones ( Mila Kunis ). As a human, she is considered near the bottom of the universe's international ladder, and yet the Queen of the Universe sees her as such a threat that she sends a genetically engineered bounty hunter (Tatum Channing) to track Jupiter down, and kill her. www.cinemablend.com/new/Wachowskis-Promise-Jupiter-Ascending-Sci-Fi-Sp
ace-Opera-Unlike-Any-You-Seen-40080.html

If only Summer Glau had been cast in Mila Kunis' role . . .

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/two


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 1, 2013 6:18 AM

FREMDFIRMA



Cloud Atlas was a pretty good movie all on its own, but scores ENORMOUS bonus points for one scene alone.



-F

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 1, 2013 9:59 AM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


Quote:

Originally posted by Wishimay:
So what do you WANT to see?



Of the films I was already aware of, my list includes:

Her
Winter's Tale - Helprin's novel is brilliant
Jodorowsky's Dune - documentary on one of the greatest movies never made
Transcendence
Jupiter Ascending
The Book of Life
Interstellar - because, Christopher Nolan...duh
Mockingjay, Part 1 - the book trilogy fell apart at the end but I have higher hopes for the concluding chapters of the film series since Danny Strong is writing the screenplays



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 1, 2013 10:00 AM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


Quote:

Originally posted by SHINYGOODGUY:
Okay, The Wachowski Brothers!?, Lana and Andy get a vote from me for 2 reasons - The Matrix and Cloud Atlas



Cloud Atlas was great in the theater, and it is great on Blu-Ray too. Sadly under-appreciated movie.



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 1, 2013 10:04 AM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Firefly and Jupiter Ascending (2014) are Space Opera...



Jupiter Ascending maybe, but not Firefly. Serenity came closer to that designation but I still wouldn't consider Whedon's 'Verse to be space opera.

Star Wars is space opera, so is most of Star Trek, as well as Battlestar Galactica and Dune, and more recently the Riddick 'verse. But just because something is set in space does not make it space opera. 2001: A Space Odyssey is not space opera, neither is Gravity.



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 1, 2013 11:20 AM

STORYMARK


Quote:

Originally posted by SHINYGOODGUY:
Okay, The Wachowski Brothers!?, Lana and Andy get a vote from me for 2 reasons - The Matrix and Cloud Atlas (The Matrix because, well, it's the Matrix and Cloud Atlas because it had everything you could think a great sci-fi thriller should have and then some, a masterpiece that played like a symphonic tour de force. My only regret was that I did not see it in the theater. Goramit! (is it one M or two).

But it sounds like a sci-fi version of Snow White. But I'm there because, after Matrix: Revolutions, they have redeemed themselves with the aforementioned Cloud Atlas.




I believe "Siblings" is their prefered title, now. But I agree - Cloud Atlas was a stupendous piece of work, and I really look forward to what they do next (though honestly, Ive liked everything they've done - even the Matrix sequels. They're my least favorite of their work, sure - but I give them a lot of credit for trying to break formula and do something different).




"Goram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Engage!"

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 1, 2013 11:25 AM

STORYMARK


Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Firefly and Jupiter Ascending (2014) are Space Opera...



Jupiter Ascending maybe, but not Firefly. Serenity came closer to that designation but I still wouldn't consider Whedon's 'Verse to be space opera.

Star Wars is space opera, so is most of Star Trek, as well as Battlestar Galactica and Dune, and more recently the Riddick 'verse. But just because something is set in space does not make it space opera. 2001: A Space Odyssey is not space opera, neither is Gravity.





I certainly consider it Space Opera - as much as Trek or BSG, anyway. Aside from a lack of Aliens (which, for that matter, BSG shares), it hits most of the general criteria (socio-political drama, uprisings, dashing Captain, ridiculously large ships, etc).

Hell, looking up the accepted characteristics, most places that discuss it use Firefly as an example.




"Goram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Engage!"

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 1, 2013 6:00 PM

WHOZIT


Other then the "X-Men" flick, that list made me cry?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 1, 2013 7:48 PM

WISHIMAY

THIS machine kills fascists- Woody Guthrie


Yeah, that one scares me too. I heard that they have to give back the rights to Marvel soon, so this could be one last "let's throw crap at the wall and see what sticks" pass...

I think it could be an overhyped disappointment...

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:12 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


I agree with you 100% EC, and sadly I was one of them until I bought the online HD version. I actually cried as I kicked myself for not having the conviction of my beliefs. I dare say it's a masterpiece, but as you correctly state it remains under-appreciated. It's ashamed I should be.....

Now I sing it's praises.


SGG

Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
Quote:

Originally posted by SHINYGOODGUY:
Okay, The Wachowski Brothers!?, Lana and Andy get a vote from me for 2 reasons - The Matrix and Cloud Atlas



Cloud Atlas was great in the theater, and it is great on Blu-Ray too. Sadly under-appreciated movie.




NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:16 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


My list is short;

Jupiter Rising
The Hunger Games Trilogy

But, truth be told I haven't really looked into it


SGG

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:17 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


Jupiter Ascending, duh


SGG

Quote:

Originally posted by SHINYGOODGUY:
My list is short;

Jupiter Rising
The Hunger Games Trilogy

But, truth be told I haven't really looked into it


SGG


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:20 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


By the way, Wishimay;

Really good thread, thanks.


SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by Wishimay:
http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/-/2014/#.UnJ0-swo7cc

So what do you WANT to see?

On our list for the kiddies stuff
How to train your Dragon 2
Night at the Museum 3

On Hubby's list
I, Frankenstein
The Hobbit 2
Sin City 2
rentals...
Toxic Avenger
Captain America

My list
Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit (has Chris Pine?)
Divergent: sounds interesting but looks teen fan-girl-ish...so I dunno..


Is there anything you know of that isn't posted on the site?



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 3, 2013 1:48 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


Ha, Ha................you are correct sir!

"We are in need of a wee bit of assistance."

Frem, you kill me........and I am smiling ;-)


SGG

Quote:

Originally posted by FREMDFIRMA:

Cloud Atlas was a pretty good movie all on its own, but scores ENORMOUS bonus points for one scene alone.



-F


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:21 AM

WISHIMAY

THIS machine kills fascists- Woody Guthrie


I'm not one that's much for routines, but I just looove checking out upcoming movies, I even write 'em down on the calendar so's I don't forget.
One of the few things I really enjoy...

BTW I just read 47 Ronin is set for December 25. I'll for sure be there hiding from lotsa things that night...

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:21 AM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!


Actually, The Desolation of Smaug would be "The Hobbit 2 ", and that comes out this year, 2013. There and Back Again , the last of the trilogy, comes out in '14.

I'll need to check back w/ ya on the list though.

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen

Resident USA Freedom Fundie

" AU, that was great, LOL!! " - Chrisisall

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:03 AM

OONJERAH


===-- >





Hmmmmm?
Not too intrigued. Posting it anyways.



====================== :>
All I suggest is a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest. ~Paul Simon

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:55 PM

STORYMARK


Quote:

Originally posted by Wishimay:
Yeah, that one scares me too. I heard that they have to give back the rights to Marvel soon, so this could be one last "let's throw crap at the wall and see what sticks" pass...

I think it could be an overhyped disappointment...



Nope. As long as they keep making them (at least every 3-4 years), they keep the rights. Same with Sony and Spider-Man.

And really, I don't think doing one of the most popular/famous stories ever, which is custom made to bring both casts together, and basically set the tone for the comics for 3 decades, is "throwing crap at the wall"...

And given that as soon as the studio saw the first cut, the immediately greenlit it's direct sequel, they seem to be feeling pretty confident about it.



"Goram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Engage!"

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, November 22, 2014 8:00 PM

WISHIMAY

THIS machine kills fascists- Woody Guthrie


Year in Review....

Well, How to train your dragon 2 was really good, still waiting for Night at the Museum 3.

Saw Edge of Tomorrow and Guardians of the Galaxy and neither were really on our radar at all but both were pretty good. Did see the X men movie, was...ok.

Hubby has seen a couple that were on his list (Sin City2 and I Frankenstein and he liked both), but I didn't see Divergent yet, was it any good?

I saw Captain America 2 and didn't expect much but was actually surprised by it, I think I'd like to see it again...

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:05 PM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


Of the movies I listed when I first posted in this thread, Jupiter Ascending was delayed until next year, I passed on Transcendence because of terrible reviews, and I have yet to see The Book of Life, but I've heard good things about it. I'll probably watch Mockingjay sometime in the coming week, and that goes for another that I didn't list, Birdman.

Other films not on my list originally that I did see, followed by my rating:
Captain America 2 - 8 out of 10
Godzilla - 3
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 5
X-Men: Days of Future Past - 6
Lucy - 5
Edge of Tomorrow - 8
The Zero Theorem - 7
Boyhood - 9.5

And to keep things in perspective, here's how I'd rate the ones I saw that I did list originally:
Her - 8
Winter's Tale - 6
Jodorowsky's Dune - 7
Interstellar - 6



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 23, 2014 6:30 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


Of the movies that I did see:

Dawn of The Planet of the Apes - 6
X-Men: Days of Future Past - 6
Lucy - 5
Edge of Tomorrow - 9
Her - 8
Interstellar - 6
Mockingjay 1 - 7.5
Big Hero Six - 8
Maleficent - 7
Guardians of the Galaxy - 8.5

I have on my list of must-see movies:

Jupiter Ascending
Book of Life
The Hobbit: 5 Armies
The Imitation Game



SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
Of the movies I listed when I first posted in this thread, Jupiter Ascending was delayed until next year, I passed on Transcendence because of terrible reviews, and I have yet to see The Book of Life, but I've heard good things about it. I'll probably watch Mockingjay sometime in the coming week, and that goes for another that I didn't list, Birdman.

Other films not on my list originally that I did see, followed by my rating:
Captain America 2 - 8 out of 10
Godzilla - 3
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 5
X-Men: Days of Future Past - 6
Lucy - 5
Edge of Tomorrow - 8
The Zero Theorem - 7
Boyhood - 9.5

And to keep things in perspective, here's how I'd rate the ones I saw that I did list originally:
Her - 8
Winter's Tale - 6
Jodorowsky's Dune - 7
Interstellar - 6




NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 23, 2014 6:34 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


I liked How to Train Your Dragon 2 as well, but I could not sit through Tammy (which I rented) and I'm a fan of Melissa McCarthy (ever since Samantha Who? with Christina Applegate - Hi-Larious).


SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by Wishimay:
Year in Review....

Well, How to train your dragon 2 was really good, still waiting for Night at the Museum 3.

Saw Edge of Tomorrow and Guardians of the Galaxy and neither were really on our radar at all but both were pretty good. Did see the X men movie, was...ok.

Hubby has seen a couple that were on his list (Sin City2 and I Frankenstein and he liked both), but I didn't see Divergent yet, was it any good?

I saw Captain America 2 and didn't expect much but was actually surprised by it, I think I'd like to see it again...


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 23, 2014 9:06 AM

WISHIMAY

THIS machine kills fascists- Woody Guthrie


I've added "Her" to my queue

Did anyone see the Jack Ryan or Divergent?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, November 24, 2014 5:41 PM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


One other I want to see, although I'm not sure if I'll get the chance in a theater near me this year - The Theory of Everything.



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
Daisy Ridley Attacked by SJW Idiots
Wed, December 11, 2019 13:16 - 13 posts
Get woke, go broke. - Charlie's Angels reboot draws abysmal numbers at box office.
Tue, December 10, 2019 14:29 - 25 posts
Joker
Sun, December 8, 2019 01:08 - 89 posts
Terminator: Dark Fate
Sun, December 8, 2019 00:45 - 53 posts
Ford vs. Ferrari
Fri, November 29, 2019 03:56 - 57 posts
STAR WARS Episode 9: The Final Abortion
Thu, November 28, 2019 23:54 - 68 posts
Going in Style
Wed, November 27, 2019 09:58 - 12 posts
What Are Your Must-See Films For 2019?
Sat, November 23, 2019 16:36 - 161 posts
Your Best Films Seen For 2019?
Sat, November 23, 2019 08:59 - 15 posts
Captain Marvel, DC or MCU?
Thu, November 14, 2019 20:17 - 153 posts
Nomis/Night Hunter
Sat, October 26, 2019 16:09 - 1 posts
The Great Manbun Movie (Aquaman)
Wed, October 16, 2019 19:42 - 17 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL