CINEMA

Interstellar

POSTED BY: ECGORDON
UPDATED: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 22:44
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 9662
PAGE 1 of 3

Friday, November 7, 2014 6:37 PM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


Just got back from seeing this. There are some very good things about it, and also some things that are very wrong. I've got four shows I want to watch tonight so my full review will have to wait until tomorrow.



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 7, 2014 8:21 PM

SHINYGOODGUY


That seems to be the general consensus, some very good things, but not quite a complete masterpiece.

Still, I'm going to check it out. I'm looking forward to reading your review.


SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
Just got back from seeing this. There are some very good things about it, and also some things that are very wrong. I've got four shows I want to watch tonight so my full review will have to wait until tomorrow.




NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:37 AM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
There are some very good things about it, and also some things that are very wrong.

Firefly and Interstellar have the same problem with the back story, except Firefly's is bigger. (The back story is what happened before the show starts, the story that got them into this mess in the first place. ) They don't have enough tiny brains or willpower or human energy to slowdown the arrival of the End of the World, but do know how to quickly build spaceships to leave Earth forever? Really?

Interstellar's NASA, despite being defunded decades before, somehow has the capability of launching dozens of crewed ships that would cost hundreds of billions of dollars each (and does so, inexplicably—get used to that word—from an underground silo that is literally right next to its work offices). Firefly has the harder problem of moving millions of people away from Earth, not just dozens. And Firefly moves them light-years, not just light-minutes to Saturn. www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/space_20/2014/11/interstella
r_science_review_the_movie_s_black_holes_wormholes_relativity.html


The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, November 8, 2014 11:28 AM

THGRRI

May the Good Lord take a liking to you... but not too soon!


The wormhole was as close to real as possible. This is a first for wormholes in movies. I watched this video about it.




NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:12 PM

WISHIMAY

There will be fire and brimstone and Earth will be destroyed!... in several billion years!----------------------------------------- "Well, so long Earth. Thanks for the air... and what-not." -Philip J. Fry


We saw it yesterday as well, and even today I'm still "Loading... please wait...." mode.

I should mention for anyone going to see it that it's 169 minutes long, so don't get there early. There was a couple scenes 2/3 of the way through I just really wanted to go for a smoke break (and I don't smoke!) but I will say that I didn't notice how long it was until that point.

I think I liked the movie. (I will give it an A-) I had some problems with the voice work (McConaughey tends to mumble) and the music scores were written by a teenaged music major(at least it felt like it) with one of those old electric organs and at maybe 60-70 decibels. Painfully loud. It was still loud with my fingers plugged in my ears. Did not take the kiddo and I'm glad we didn't as the intensity of the suspenseful scenes and constant life/deathness and loudness would have been too much.

I do not care for the way they resolved the whole thing. "THEY" and "SOMETIME, SOMEWERE IN THE FUTURE" after going to such lengths for the rest of the movie to come up with a plot just seemed to cheapen it. Also "HERE'S THE SCENARIO, THE EARTH IS MESSED UP>>> RUN WITH IT" Just sucked. Talk to any scientist and they can give you dozens of reasons for an apocalypse. It was mindless robot time. ARGH, DUST KILL CROP. MUST LEAVE PLANET. So sad, lets just move on??? After all, we still have 2 and a half hours to go people Don't look at that hydroponic plant behind the curtain............. *snort*

There were definitely some great visuals and sensations and science aspects worthy of praise. The robot was one of the best of those. They actually put some thought or research into them and the interaction with them was one of the better points. And it certainly had the feel of an amusement park ride and kept my attention for almost three hours.


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:18 PM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, November 8, 2014 6:00 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
There are some very good things about it, and also some things that are very wrong.

Firefly and Interstellar have the same problem with the back story, except Firefly's is bigger. (The back story is what happened before the show starts, the story that got them into this mess in the first place. ) They don't have enough tiny brains or willpower or human energy to slowdown the arrival of the End of the World, but do know how to quickly build spaceships to leave Earth forever? Really?

Interstellar's NASA, despite being defunded decades before, somehow has the capability of launching dozens of crewed ships that would cost hundreds of billions of dollars each (and does so, inexplicably—get used to that word—from an underground silo that is literally right next to its work offices). Firefly has the harder problem of moving millions of people away from Earth, not just dozens. And Firefly moves them light-years, not just light-minutes to Saturn. www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/space_20/2014/11/interstella
r_science_review_the_movie_s_black_holes_wormholes_relativity.html




I did not know you found the Firefly backstory inexplicable. Is this viewpoint shared by many others? You are aware Joss used no blackholes or FTL travel? He did not say that Richard Branson was in charge of them, or had any surviving arks in The Verse.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, November 8, 2014 6:24 PM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


As I state in my review, about the only thing I can find fault with Firefly is the fact that they had the technology to terraform hundreds of planets and moons in another solar system but were helpless in avoiding the fate of Earth That Was.

In Interstellar, crops are dying world-wide and humanity is close to starving, and yet they think it makes more sense to spend billions of dollars on a questionable space mission rather than working on hydroponics or weather control. Of course, in both cases it is just in service to the story the creators wanted to tell whether it all made sense or not.



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 9, 2014 9:02 AM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
I did not know you found the Firefly backstory inexplicable. Is this viewpoint shared by many others? You are aware Joss used no blackholes or FTL travel? He did not say that Richard Branson was in charge of them, or had any surviving arks in The Verse.

When Mal's ancestors left Earth, they had artificial gravity and they could terraform a planet. Whether or not Earth was truly and completely "used up" as Mal claims, why wasn't Mars terraformed? And why are there no people left on Mars or elsewhere back in the Solar System? Why take a starship cruise that won't end until after you are long dead? Maybe the starship cruise stops at interesting port cities along the way? No? It's nonstop until you arrive at the 'Verse?

That sounds like a prison ship from which no one can escape. How did Joss Whedon force all Earthlings to take that cruise, leaving no one behind in the Solar System?

Interstellar and Firefly have got a lot in common as far as being serious about physics and what is physically possible for people to do. Joss Whedon isn't silly enough to claim accuracy about Firefly physics. Or Buffy physics. The Nolan Brothers are insinuating that all their physics are totally accurate because the Interstellar computer graphics are.

The Nolan Brothers say they want a movie as important as Kubrick's 2001, but the Nolans didn't let physics constrain their story. Kubrick obeyed ordinary physics until the last few minutes of his movie. Nolans violated physics every time it got between them and a particular visual.

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 9, 2014 11:05 AM

WHOZIT


Besides being over 2 1/2 hours long, it's getting only so-so reviews. I'll wait for it to come to cable.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 9, 2014 12:09 PM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


I don't read many other reviewers, but there is one who I think is consistently spot-on with his comments. I avoid his column until I've written my own though.

http://www.locusmag.com/Reviews/2014/11/2014-a-grand-ole-odyssey-a-rev
iew-of-interstellar
/


NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 9, 2014 12:27 PM

THGRRI

May the Good Lord take a liking to you... but not too soon!


One thing said by a reviewer was that this movie was constructed for a theater experience, to wait for the DVD means missing out on a lot.


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 9, 2014 1:35 PM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
I don't read many other reviewers, but there is one who I think is consistently spot-on with his comments. I avoid his column until I've written my own though.

http://www.locusmag.com/Reviews/2014/11/2014-a-grand-ole-odyssey-a-rev
iew-of-interstellar
/


Your guy at Locus, Gary Westfahl, wrote, "One could devote an entire review to listing the many things about this film that make very little sense."

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 9, 2014 2:13 PM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Your guy at Locus, Gary Westfahl, wrote, "One could devote an entire review to listing the many things about this film that make very little sense."


And he did mostly that.



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 9, 2014 4:05 PM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!


I sat through the entire movie w/ out a litter box break. It's a long flick , but it held my attention, so it didn't SEEM very long.

Though, it may have been the big comfy reclining chairs that helped , IDK.

As for 'back story ' issues, just go w/ it. Things are bad. Why ? It just is. Trust 'em.

I was caught up in the characters though, and some decent acting. There may be tears ? Well, I must have had some dust in my eye...yeah, that's it.

I get the 2001 Space Odyssey comparisons. I really do. But this , imo, is far more satisfying.


NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 9, 2014 6:01 PM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


Quote:

Originally posted by AURaptor:

As for 'back story ' issues, just go w/ it. Things are bad. Why ? It just is. Trust 'em. . . . I get the 2001 Space Odyssey comparisons. I really do. But this , imo, is far more satisfying.

The Nolan Brothers also wrote and directed The Prestige, which has a 19th Century teleportation machine from Star Trek. Be amazed & thrilled as Hugh Jackman sparkles realistically when teleported in Victorian London! As David Bowie, the inventor of the teleporter, said about his amazing machine, "These things never quite work as you expect them to. That's one of the principle beauties of science." That science is just as solid as the science in Interstellar. Even though it is being sold as realistic, Interstellar is fantasy, no matter how many PhDs in physics got paid for making it. Be thankful the Nolan Brothers could not plausibly use a teleporter in the Nolan version of NASA's space program. Except they did do that very thing to Matthew McConaughey to get him back to Earth.

The Nolan Brothers' "science" teleports anxious Hugh Jackman in The Prestige (2006).


The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 9, 2014 6:06 PM

MAL4PREZ


I generally need two viewings of a decent film to cement my opinion of it. This, I think, was a decent film. But I've only had one viewing.

So far, I think:

1. Beautiful presentation of space travel.

2. Beautiful presentation of black holes and time dilation.

3. Very loooooong movie. It was good enough that I could handle it the first time around. I might have a hard time dealing with all those slow scenes again.

4. Too much Matthew Mcconaughey. Please. I can't take this guy for 3 hours.

5. This really wanted to be the new Kubrick's 2001. It tried. It got there... maybe 1/2 way? I haven't decided yet.

*******SPOILER NOW********

Select to view spoiler:



The thing that bothered me most was that the humans set up the time loop. I have a fan-wank that helps a little, maybe. In my mind, the first time around only plan B happened, as established by the Matt Damon guy. The humans in plan B were guided only by science, and not by the social/political rules they would have learned if they had living humans to teach them. They mastered relativity while living in the shadow of a Black Hole. They knew the history. At some point they decided to rescue their flawed and short-sighted fore-fathers and -mothers. They set up the wormhole and the strangeness inside the event horizon.

That doesn't solve all the paradoxes. In fact, a big one remains.




Still, this was a major milestone in presenting the laws of physics to the average audience.

If only there wasn't so much fucking annoying Matthew. Please, make a secondary character more important so I get a break from this guy.


*-------------------------------------------------*
What trolls reveal about themselves when they troll:
http://fireflyfans.net/mthread.aspx?bid=18&tid=57532
*-------------------------------------------------*



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 12:29 AM

JONGSSTRAW

We carry in our hearts the true country, and that cannot be stolen.






In .. Through .. and Beyond!
Dr. Hans Reinhardt, The Black Hole

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 6:32 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


My showing was about 2:50 before the credits.
Anybody know when the time frame was, for the original scenes, Murphy age 10 or so? I didn't find any clear references, other than at least 10 years in the future.
Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Quote:

Originally posted by AURaptor:

As for 'back story ' issues, just go w/ it. Things are bad. Why ? It just is. Trust 'em. . . . I get the 2001 Space Odyssey comparisons. I really do. But this , imo, is far more satisfying.

The Nolan Brothers also wrote and directed The Prestige, which has a 19th Century teleportation machine from Star Trek. Be amazed & thrilled as Hugh Jackman sparkles realistically when teleported in Victorian London! As David Bowie, the inventor of the teleporter, said about his amazing machine, "These things never quite work as you expect them to. That's one of the principle beauties of science."


Did you intentionally leave out the part where this was was Nikolai Tesla? Most of your revered current "scientists" or "physicists" or "PhDs" cannot even fathom the science than Tesla knew more than a century ago.
Quote:


That science is just as solid as the science in Interstellar. Even though it is being sold as realistic, Interstellar is fantasy, no matter how many PhDs in physics got paid for making it. Be thankful the Nolan Brothers could not plausibly use a teleporter in the Nolan version of NASA's space program. Except they did do that very thing to Matthew McConaughey to get him back to Earth.


I assume you are using literary license. Are you claiming the Ranger or whichever craft as his "teleporter" here?
Quote:


The Nolan Brothers'


incorrect. This was Tesla's science.
Quote:


"science" teleports anxious Hugh Jackman in The Prestige (2006).



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 7:01 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


SPOILER ALERT!


THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILER DISCUSSION



















SPOILER

I was at first repelled by the whole love connection thing which Hathaway's character ranted about. But then I thought about it in regards to current knowledge of love in space and time, and I knew that I could not discount the concept, it is actually very valid.




Quote:

Originally posted by MAL4PREZ:
I generally need two viewings of a decent film to cement my opinion of it. This, I think, was a decent film. But I've only had one viewing.

So far, I think:

*******SPOILER NOW********

Select to view spoiler:



The thing that bothered me most was that the humans set up the time loop. I have a fan-wank that helps a little, maybe. In my mind, the first time around only plan B happened, as established by the Matt Damon guy.


Established by Mann's plan (Damon), but with Edmonds planet, right?
Quote:

Select to view spoiler:



The humans in plan B were guided only by science, and not by the social/political rules they would have learned if they had living humans to teach them. They mastered relativity while living in the shadow of a Black Hole. They knew the history. At some point they decided to rescue their flawed and short-sighted fore-fathers and -mothers.


Perhaps they needed the fore-fathers to survive, they were dying out on Edmond's planet, maybe like the invaders in Signs or War of the Worlds (Cruise).
Quote:

Select to view spoiler:



They set up the wormhole and the strangeness inside the event horizon.

That doesn't solve all the paradoxes. In fact, a big one remains.


What big one?
Quote:






Still, this was a major milestone in presenting the laws of physics to the average audience.

If only there wasn't so much fucking annoying Matthew. Please, make a secondary character more important so I get a break from this guy.


All the other characters were working to fail. His character was the only one making it work.





END OF SPOILER POST

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:23 PM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!


I liked the basic message that while we can't abandon those people who are on Earth, we must still strive to look up , and not perpetually down, and claim to be caring for humanity.

I understand that space travel is pricey, and also dangerous, but the fact remains... we're going to have to get off this rock one day and start to look elsewhere if our species is going to survive.

There is just no getting around that fact.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:45 PM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


There is teleportation in Interstellar: Cooper sends many messages to his daughter; once finished sending, the tesseract collapses with Cooper inside of it, Ouch!; Cooper wakes in the hospital back in the Solar System.

The Prestige, written and directed by same Nolan Brothers, has David Bowie Tesla build a teleportation device that also duplicates -- it's a fax machine making perfect copies of people. The Nolan Brothers are recycling that old idea into their latest movie and simplifying.

The Real Tesla would not immorally have given Hugh Jackman a gadget that duplicates people. David Bowie Tesla left a note that said, "Drop this infernal machine to the bottom of the deepest ocean." The Nolan Brothers needed David Bowie Tesla to be ethically idiotic. Leaving a handwritten note is not sufficient. Real Tesla would have destroyed the machine.

Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
My showing was about 2:50 before the credits.
Anybody know when the time frame was, for the original scenes, Murphy age 10 or so? I didn't find any clear references, other than at least 10 years in the future.
Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Quote:

Originally posted by AURaptor:

As for 'back story ' issues, just go w/ it. Things are bad. Why ? It just is. Trust 'em. . . . I get the 2001 Space Odyssey comparisons. I really do. But this , imo, is far more satisfying.

The Nolan Brothers also wrote and directed The Prestige, which has a 19th Century teleportation machine from Star Trek. Be amazed & thrilled as Hugh Jackman sparkles realistically when teleported in Victorian London! As David Bowie, the inventor of the teleporter, said about his amazing machine, "These things never quite work as you expect them to. That's one of the principle beauties of science."


Did you intentionally leave out the part where this was was Nikolai Tesla? Most of your revered current "scientists" or "physicists" or "PhDs" cannot even fathom the science than Tesla knew more than a century ago.
Quote:


That science is just as solid as the science in Interstellar. Even though it is being sold as realistic, Interstellar is fantasy, no matter how many PhDs in physics got paid for making it. Be thankful the Nolan Brothers could not plausibly use a teleporter in the Nolan version of NASA's space program. Except they did do that very thing to Matthew McConaughey to get him back to Earth.


I assume you are using literary license. Are you claiming the Ranger or whichever craft as his "teleporter" here?
Quote:


The Nolan Brothers'


incorrect. This was Tesla's science.
Quote:


"science" teleports anxious Hugh Jackman in The Prestige (2006).





The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:00 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by second:

Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
My showing was about 2:50 before the credits.
Anybody know when the time frame was, for the original scenes, Murphy age 10 or so? I didn't find any clear references, other than at least 10 years in the future.
Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Quote:

Originally posted by AURaptor:

As for 'back story ' issues, just go w/ it. Things are bad. Why ? It just is. Trust 'em. . . . I get the 2001 Space Odyssey comparisons. I really do. But this , imo, is far more satisfying.

The Nolan Brothers also wrote and directed The Prestige, which has a 19th Century teleportation machine from Star Trek. Be amazed & thrilled as Hugh Jackman sparkles realistically when teleported in Victorian London! As David Bowie, the inventor of the teleporter, said about his amazing machine, "These things never quite work as you expect them to. That's one of the principle beauties of science."


Did you intentionally leave out the part where this was was Nikolai Tesla? Most of your revered current "scientists" or "physicists" or "PhDs" cannot even fathom the science than Tesla knew more than a century ago.
Quote:


That science is just as solid as the science in Interstellar. Even though it is being sold as realistic, Interstellar is fantasy, no matter how many PhDs in physics got paid for making it. Be thankful the Nolan Brothers could not plausibly use a teleporter in the Nolan version of NASA's space program. Except they did do that very thing to Matthew McConaughey to get him back to Earth.


I assume you are using literary license. Are you claiming the Ranger or whichever craft as his "teleporter" here?
Quote:


The Nolan Brothers'


incorrect. This was Tesla's science.
Quote:


"science" teleports anxious Hugh Jackman in The Prestige (2006).



There is teleportation in Interstellar: Cooper sends many messages to his daughter;


I thought this was time portation. You think he actually traveled back to Earth at this time?
Quote:


once finished sending, the tesseract collapses with Cooper inside of it,


Yes, the time connecting construct "collapsed" or dissolved. This would then return him to his own time, where he was exported from the singularity. Right?
Quote:


Ouch!; Cooper wakes in the hospital back in the Solar System.


After he was adrift in space for 30-50 years, his life support almost depleted. Right?

What was the one big paradox remaining?

I noticed they strongly connect time and gravity, where the gravity singularity is also - or due to - the time singularity, where all time is one, or in the same place. I don't recall other works using this connection in this way - they seemed to stress the time is causing the gravity singularity, thus crushing pressure/gravity is not apparently an issue. Anybody else seen this concept fleshed out in this way before?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:06 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by AURaptor:
I liked the basic message that while we can't abandon those people who are on Earth, we must still strive to look up , and not perpetually down, and claim to be caring for humanity.

I understand that space travel is pricey, and also dangerous, but the fact remains... we're going to have to get off this rock one day and start to look elsewhere if our species is going to survive.

There is just no getting around that fact.


If we keep electing Obama and his ilk, we can get to our extinction much quicker.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 14, 2014 8:36 AM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
If we keep electing Obama and his ilk, we can get to our extinction much quicker.

Are you implying that the Obama opposition, the Republicans, have an interstellar program in their party's platform? If they do, they are keeping that a secret. . . . Hey! That's exactly like the super-secret program in the movie Interstellar! In a real USA, not Hollywood's USA, there is no reason to keep it secret, except to surprise Cooper and Murphy for storytelling purposes.

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 14, 2014 4:38 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Are you implying that the Obama opposition, the Republicans, have an interstellar program in their party's platform? If they do, they are keeping that a secret. . . . Hey! That's exactly like the super-secret program in the movie Interstellar! In a real USA, not Hollywood's USA, there is no reason to keep it secret, except to surprise Cooper and Murphy for storytelling purposes.


You feel the explanation in the film was not adequate, or you didn't understand it, or you disagree with it, or it was not clear enough?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 14, 2014 5:14 PM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Are you implying that the Obama opposition, the Republicans, have an interstellar program in their party's platform? If they do, they are keeping that a secret. . . . Hey! That's exactly like the super-secret program in the movie Interstellar! In a real USA, not Hollywood's USA, there is no reason to keep it secret, except to surprise Cooper and Murphy for storytelling purposes.


You feel the explanation in the film was not adequate, or you didn't understand it, or you disagree with it, or it was not clear enough?

The Interstellar Project was secret only because Hollywood and the Nolan Brothers needed to keep the secret from Cooper and Murphy for storytelling purposes.

The project does not need the secrecy of a Manhattan project where Germany could have been strongly motivated to built a competing A-Bomb to drop on the USA if only Germany had known what the US was doing. Or later in the Manhattan project, Russia might drop a A-Bomb on the USA after WW II was over. The movie was, to be perfectly frank, stupid about the secrecy. A rational USA is not going to keep an Interstellar project hidden because there is no enemy to keep it hidden from.

And the movie had school history books rewritten to make the Apollo Program a hoax? That would make as much sense as declaring the Civil War a hoax so that feelings of 21st Century Southerners are spared the distress of knowing that the Confederacy lost.

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 14, 2014 5:56 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Are you implying that the Obama opposition, the Republicans, have an interstellar program in their party's platform? If they do, they are keeping that a secret. . . . Hey! That's exactly like the super-secret program in the movie Interstellar! In a real USA, not Hollywood's USA, there is no reason to keep it secret, except to surprise Cooper and Murphy for storytelling purposes.


You feel the explanation in the film was not adequate, or you didn't understand it, or you disagree with it, or it was not clear enough?

The Interstellar Project was secret only because Hollywood and the Nolan Brothers needed to keep the secret from Cooper and Murphy for storytelling purposes.

The project does not need the secrecy of a Manhattan project where Germany could have been strongly motivated to built a competing A-Bomb to drop on the USA if only Germany had known what the US was doing. Or later in the Manhattan project, Russia might drop a A-Bomb on the USA after WW II was over. The movie was, to be perfectly frank, stupid about the secrecy. A rational USA is not going to keep an Interstellar project hidden because there is no enemy to keep it hidden from.

And the movie had school history books rewritten to make the Apollo Program a hoax? That would make as much sense as declaring the Civil War a hoax so that feelings of 21st Century Southerners are spared the distress of knowing that the Confederacy lost.

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


So you didn't understand it.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 14, 2014 6:16 PM

MAL4PREZ


Crazy spoilers in this post.
Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
What big one?


You don't see it? Really?

Hmm.

Maybe your limited intellectual ability is why you haven't answered my direct and oft-repeated questions in the Edge of Tomorrow thread. You just aren't capable of groking obvious things. Obvi.

Anyhow...

The big plot hole: How did humans escape their dead Earth the first time around? If humans hadn't gone through the wormhole because no humans had yet gone through it and been able to send their BDH Matthew M into the blackhole and so do all the science that let them get to the wormhole and survive long enough to, in the far future, create the wormhole...

How was the wormhole there the first time through the timeline?

Major plot fail there. Really big. You didn't see it JSF?

Moron.

I have fan-wank solutions, but I won't share quite yet.

Quote:

All the other characters were working to fail. His character was the only one making it work.
This response is what I expect of a blind RWA male-hero-worshipper like you. MM's character was written to be the Guy Who Saves The Day strictly to appeal to limited brains like yours. You buy it whole-heartedly, just like you did with TC in EoT.

How very in character of you.



*-------------------------------------------------*
What trolls reveal about themselves when they troll:
http://fireflyfans.net/mthread.aspx?bid=18&tid=57532
*-------------------------------------------------*



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, November 14, 2014 6:17 PM

MAL4PREZ


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
So you didn't understand it.



Just like you didn't understand EoT. Hey, ever gonna explain how you changed your tune so 180 degrees regarding the plot of that movie?



*-------------------------------------------------*
What trolls reveal about themselves when they troll:
http://fireflyfans.net/mthread.aspx?bid=18&tid=57532
*-------------------------------------------------*



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 16, 2014 3:59 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by MAL4PREZ:
Crazy spoilers in this post.
Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
What big one?


You don't see it? Really?


That would be why I asked. Twice.
Quote:


Maybe your limited intellectual ability is why you just aren't capable of groking obvious things. Obvi.


Is groking a new word? Or typo? What was the intended word or meaning?
Quote:


Anyhow...

The big plot hole: How did humans escape their dead Earth the first time around? If humans hadn't gone through the wormhole because no humans had yet gone through it and been able to send their BDH Matthew M into the blackhole and so do all the science that let them get to the wormhole and survive long enough to, in the far future, create the wormhole...

How was the wormhole there the first time through the timeline?

Major plot fail there. Really big. You didn't see it JSF?


How was the Nimitz created the first time around in Final Countdown?
How was Lyle Swann born the first time around in Timerider?
How was invisible aluminum created the first time around in Star Trek IV?
How was John Connor born the first time around in The Terminator?
How did Enterprise C return to it's time the first time around without Battleship Enterprise D in "Yesterday's Enterprise" - one of the highest-voted episodes in the entire Enterprise franchise?
How was the Army of 12 Monkeys created the first time around without Cole, or how did Cole see his future self dying in his childhood in 12 Monkeys?
How was T100 created the first time around without the chip being left, as explained in T2?

Is this your first time viewing a science fiction film? Or one with time paradox?
Or are you a moron?
Quote:


Moron.

I have fan-wank solutions, but I won't share quite yet.


So my question, asked of Second, remains: What big one?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:28 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


I had failed to finish this post.
Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
Quote:

Originally posted by second:
Are you implying that the Obama opposition, the Republicans, have an interstellar program in their party's platform? If they do, they are keeping that a secret. . . . Hey! That's exactly like the super-secret program in the movie Interstellar! In a real USA, not Hollywood's USA, there is no reason to keep it secret, except to surprise Cooper and Murphy for storytelling purposes.


You feel the explanation in the film was not adequate, or you didn't understand it, or you disagree with it, or it was not clear enough?

The Interstellar Project was secret only because Hollywood and the Nolan Brothers needed to keep the secret from Cooper and Murphy for storytelling purposes.

The project does not need the secrecy of a Manhattan project where Germany could have been strongly motivated to built a competing A-Bomb to drop on the USA if only Germany had known what the US was doing.



This is not the explanation from Interstellar. Is this your strawman argument?
Quote:

Quote:


Or later in the Manhattan project, Russia might drop a A-Bomb on the USA after WW II was over.



This is not the explanation from Interstellar. Is this your strawman argument?
Quote:

Quote:


The movie was, to be perfectly frank, stupid about the secrecy. A rational USA is not going to keep an Interstellar project hidden because there is no enemy to keep it hidden from.

And the movie had school history books rewritten to make the Apollo Program a hoax?



You are not familiar with the rewritings? You have never seen history rewritten? You don't think history is rewritten by the victors?
Quote:

Quote:


That would make as much sense as declaring the Civil War a hoax so that feelings of 21st Century Southerners are spared the distress of knowing that the Confederacy lost.



extremely poor analogy. Spared feelings is not the explanation given in Interstellar - that would have been rubbish.
Quote:

Quote:




So you didn't understand it.


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, November 16, 2014 7:22 PM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
Is groking a new word? Or typo? What was the intended word or meaning?


Hardly a new word. It's from Robert Heinlein's novel Stranger in a Strange Land, so it's at least 53 years old, possibly older, because he started writing the story in 1949 even though it wasn't published until 1961.

It means understanding something completely.



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, November 17, 2014 1:06 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


EC, just got back from watching Interstellar. Yes, watching. I did not get the feeling that I was experiencing a film, more like watching a series of attempts to tell a story. Oh, it started out well, but after a few minutes it started to become somewhat forced, the emotion I mean. By the way, that little girl who played McConahey's daughter was the best thing going for this film, even Chastain, who's usually solid, seemed a bit off, but she was better than most. Kudos to the actors who voiced the robots CASE and TARS.

I kept thinking, this was written and directed by Nolan? It just didn't seem possible that the director responsible for Inception and Dark Knight was responsible for this weak offering. I left disappointed. Matt Damon's character, what the fuck was that about. I don't think that the actors believed in the script.
It was not your usual tight solid performances that you come to expect from a Nolan film.

Just read Wishimay's review and that's pretty much how I feel about it.


SGG



Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
Just got back from seeing this. There are some very good things about it, and also some things that are very wrong. I've got four shows I want to watch tonight so my full review will have to wait until tomorrow.




NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, November 17, 2014 1:23 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


SPOILERS!!!!!!


I agree with you 99.9%

I was not happy when I left the theater. How does a little girl out-act everybody, except for Chastain and the robots, in a Nolan film?

What was up with the ear-splitting music? I couldn't hear half the dialogue. Matt Damon's character, WTF?, and that fight scene was so lame. The reason why I think the scenes felt long was because there was never any payoff, the scenes pretty much went nowhere. As soon as they mentioned the time element in exploring the Black Hole, I knew that it was Murph's father that sent the message. No surprise there.

I was totally disappointed.


SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by Wishimay:
We saw it yesterday as well, and even today I'm still "Loading... please wait...." mode.

I should mention for anyone going to see it that it's 169 minutes long, so don't get there early. There was a couple scenes 2/3 of the way through I just really wanted to go for a smoke break (and I don't smoke!) but I will say that I didn't notice how long it was until that point.

I think I liked the movie. (I will give it an A-) I had some problems with the voice work (McConaughey tends to mumble) and the music scores were written by a teenaged music major(at least it felt like it) with one of those old electric organs and at maybe 60-70 decibels. Painfully loud. It was still loud with my fingers plugged in my ears. Did not take the kiddo and I'm glad we didn't as the intensity of the suspenseful scenes and constant life/deathness and loudness would have been too much.

I do not care for the way they resolved the whole thing. "THEY" and "SOMETIME, SOMEWERE IN THE FUTURE" after going to such lengths for the rest of the movie to come up with a plot just seemed to cheapen it. Also "HERE'S THE SCENARIO, THE EARTH IS MESSED UP>>> RUN WITH IT" Just sucked. Talk to any scientist and they can give you dozens of reasons for an apocalypse. It was mindless robot time. ARGH, DUST KILL CROP. MUST LEAVE PLANET. So sad, lets just move on??? After all, we still have 2 and a half hours to go people Don't look at that hydroponic plant behind the curtain............. *snort*

There were definitely some great visuals and sensations and science aspects worthy of praise. The robot was one of the best of those. They actually put some thought or research into them and the interaction with them was one of the better points. And it certainly had the feel of an amusement park ride and kept my attention for almost three hours.



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, November 17, 2014 2:10 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


I agree, I was very disappointed in this mess. There wasn't much that I felt was good about this film. Plus, it was so damn loud, couldn't hear half the dialogue. Comparing this to 2001: A Space Odyssey is like comparing Goodfellas to Analyze This.
I was so looking forward to this film, but ever since Dark Knight Rises his writing has been slipping. DKR was a 50-50 mix of great action and solid storyline, with a great deal of overreach, just too much socio-political scenarios.


SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
http://templetongate.net/interstellar.htm




NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, November 17, 2014 9:45 AM

WISHIMAY

There will be fire and brimstone and Earth will be destroyed!... in several billion years!----------------------------------------- "Well, so long Earth. Thanks for the air... and what-not." -Philip J. Fry


Quote:

Originally posted by SHINYGOODGUY:
I left disappointed. Matt Damon's character, what the fuck was that about. I don't think that the actors believed in the script.



Yep, that was the point where I wanted to take a smoke break, but I was trying to be nice. It's almost like they wanted to just throw in another planet, and to re-iterate that PEOPLE are going to be the biggest problem with space travel. "Here's your morality lesson of the day, kids" time. It didn't add anything.






NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, November 17, 2014 10:46 AM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!


Quote:

Originally posted by MAL4PREZ:

Major plot fail there. Really big. You didn't see it JSF?

Moron.




Is the insult actually necessary ? This is a MOVIE. It's ENTERTAINMENT. And yeah, I thought the 'handshake' was a bit of a short cut too, a cop out, but what the hey, so what ?

What I got out of the movie is that man MUST look upwards, to the stars, if there's any hope for our long term survival.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, November 17, 2014 10:55 AM

OLDGUY

What Would Mal do ?


Quote:

Originally posted by THGRRI:
One thing said by a reviewer was that this movie was constructed for a theater experience, to wait for the DVD means missing out on a lot.




eh...but then you haven't seen my home movie room ! and I'll be able to adjust for the imbalance of voice-to-music that everyone is complaining about

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, November 17, 2014 6:40 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
Is groking a new word? Or typo? What was the intended word or meaning?


Hardly a new word. It's from Robert Heinlein's novel Stranger in a Strange Land, so it's at least 53 years old, possibly older, because he started writing the story in 1949 even though it wasn't published until 1961.

It means understanding something completely.


Online dictionaries had results of nothing. So it must be fictional word, then. That would be the work which created the waterbed, right?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, November 17, 2014 6:50 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by OLDGUY:
Quote:

Originally posted by THGRRI:
One thing said by a reviewer was that this movie was constructed for a theater experience, to wait for the DVD means missing out on a lot.




eh...but then you haven't seen my home movie room ! and I'll be able to adjust for the imbalance of voice-to-music that everyone is complaining about


What size screen have you?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:12 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


Agreed. At least in Inception each scene built upon the previous scene and so on. It was like a movement on a Swiss watch, precise without being clunky or boring.

Here, in this film, it felt somewhat disjointed and awkward. Like a teenage boy picking up his prom date at her parents house, you knew why you were there but didn't quite know what to do with your hands. Hathaway looked lost and there was no chemistry with McConaughey. Even when they revealed that her fiance was one of the lost explorers, nothing. It felt tacked on. There was no real emotion there, the robots had more passion.


SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by Wishimay:
Quote:

Originally posted by SHINYGOODGUY:
I left disappointed. Matt Damon's character, what the fuck was that about. I don't think that the actors believed in the script.



Yep, that was the point where I wanted to take a smoke break, but I was trying to be nice. It's almost like they wanted to just throw in another planet, and to re-iterate that PEOPLE are going to be the biggest problem with space travel. "Here's your morality lesson of the day, kids" time. It didn't add anything.







NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:07 AM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


I went to see it again yesterday, so I guess I'm a masochist.

Last week I would have invited my brother-in-law to see it since he is the only one I know who also likes SF movies, books too. But he and my sister were out of town. Then he calls me and asks if I wanted to go, I told him I had already seen it and wouldn't waste more money on it, but he was paying. I couldn't convince him to see Birdman instead, so I'll see that one later on in the week.

He is usually the one who nitpicks things that I like, and yet he was much more impressed with Interstellar than I was. I still admit it has some great visual set pieces, but the story is woefully thin.



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:13 AM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:

Online dictionaries had results of nothing. So it must be fictional word, then. That would be the work which created the waterbed, right?




If using 'gorram' or 'shiny' among Firefly fans, it'd make sense. But 'grok' ? I don't care how old that word is, it was lost on me as well. And while I'm not full bore Sci-Fi geek, I am more up on such things than most. I've seen that word used here a time or two, and just ignored it. Nothing more than a lame attempt by the user to show some sort of phony intellectual upper hand, is how I see it. And it wasn't even used correctly, so I'd pay it no mind.



Grok means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed—to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion, philosophy, and science—and it means as little to us (because of our Earthling assumptions) as color means to a blind man.


The Oxford English Dictionary defines to grok as "to understand intuitively or by empathy; to establish rapport with" and "to empathize or communicate sympathetically (with); also, to experience enjoyment".





Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen

I'm just a red pill guy in a room full of blue pill addicts.

" AU, that was great, LOL!! " - Chrisisall

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:54 PM

MAL4PREZ


Quote:

Originally posted by AURaptor:
...And it wasn't even used correctly, so I'd pay it no mind.



Translation: Please please fight me with me! I'll pick and peck at any old stupid thing just so you'll fight with me because I need the attention so very very badly!





*-------------------------------------------------*
What trolls reveal about themselves when they troll:
http://fireflyfans.net/mthread.aspx?bid=18&tid=57532
*-------------------------------------------------*



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:58 PM

MAL4PREZ


Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
I went to see it again yesterday, so I guess I'm a masochist.

Last week I would have invited my brother-in-law to see it since he is the only one I know who also likes SF movies, books too. But he and my sister were out of town. Then he calls me and asks if I wanted to go, I told him I had already seen it and wouldn't waste more money on it, but he was paying. I couldn't convince him to see Birdman instead, so I'll see that one later on in the week.

He is usually the one who nitpicks things that I like, and yet he was much more impressed with Interstellar than I was. I still admit it has some great visual set pieces, but the story is woefully thin.



I had some vague plan to see it again so I could cement my opinion, but I really don't think I can handle the length. Was it hard to take a second viewing SGG?

I read an article about how they layered the sound differently than most movies, so I am kind of curious about that. I do recall liking the sound. (Yay for a silent explosion in space!) And those visuals were so good. OK, I might get drawn back into the theater if it stays up for a while.

Or... I could just veer into the theater waaaaay upstairs in the Times Square AMC where Guardians is still playing. It was last week, anyway. Hunger Games might bump it out this weekend.



*-------------------------------------------------*
What trolls reveal about themselves when they troll:
http://fireflyfans.net/mthread.aspx?bid=18&tid=57532
*-------------------------------------------------*



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:19 PM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


Quote:

Originally posted by MAL4PREZ:
Was it hard to take a second viewing SGG?


Make that ECG.

Actually, it was easier to take the second time around, because I had already dealt with all the inconsistencies and WTF moments the first time. The audio on the dialog was still murky though, but I guess it didn't really matter since what they were saying was mostly nonsense anyway.



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:58 PM

MAL4PREZ


Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
Quote:

Originally posted by MAL4PREZ:
Was it hard to take a second viewing SGG?


Make that ECG.


D'oh! Sorry about that.

Quote:

Actually, it was easier to take the second time around, because I had already dealt with all the inconsistencies and WTF moments the first time. The audio on the dialog was still murky though, but I guess it didn't really matter since what they were saying was mostly nonsense anyway.
Interesting. I probably will take it in again then. In a few weeks.

I've read some reviews about the dialog being hard to hear. I don't remember that being a problem for me. Maybe because I didn't care too much about the dialog? It was super loud at times in general.

Anyhow, I did want to agree with what y'all were saying above about how good the girl actress was. So true. I think MM was pretty good really, what bugged me was how the plot line centered so completely on him. Humankind's first big encounter with a black hole and it's all about one man and his daughter? Meh. Too obviously Hollywood.


*-------------------------------------------------*
What trolls reveal about themselves when they troll:
http://fireflyfans.net/mthread.aspx?bid=18&tid=57532
*-------------------------------------------------*



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:32 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
Is groking a new word? Or typo? What was the intended word or meaning?


Hardly a new word. It's from Robert Heinlein's novel Stranger in a Strange Land, so it's at least 53 years old, possibly older, because he started writing the story in 1949 even though it wasn't published until 1961.

It means understanding something completely.


Online dictionaries had results of nothing. So it must be fictional word, then. That would be the work which created the waterbed, right?


Alright, as explained now, it was intended to be "grok" and extended to "grokking" according to those posting here. "Groking" remains undefined gibberish.

So, YES, it WAS a TYPO.

Thanks to all who helped out with translating her gibberish.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:43 PM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


Now you're arguing about whether a fictional word is spelled correctly even though you knew by the time you posted exactly what the word meant and how it was being used. Talk about gibberish.



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
What Are Your Must-See Films - 2017?
Thu, October 19, 2017 20:24 - 62 posts
Mindhunter
Tue, October 17, 2017 12:42 - 1 posts
Blade Runner 2049
Tue, October 17, 2017 02:03 - 15 posts
Kingsman T.eww
Sun, October 8, 2017 18:33 - 54 posts
Brade Runner II
Fri, October 6, 2017 22:39 - 15 posts
Wind River
Fri, October 6, 2017 22:30 - 20 posts
What Are Your Best Films of 2017 So Far?
Fri, October 6, 2017 22:19 - 40 posts
IT - Loads of Fun!
Thu, October 5, 2017 12:16 - 27 posts
I Don't Feel At Home In The World Anymore
Tue, September 19, 2017 12:09 - 3 posts
Dark Tower
Fri, September 15, 2017 18:00 - 3 posts
American Assassin
Fri, September 15, 2017 02:04 - 1 posts
Q about 12 Monkeys
Wed, September 13, 2017 08:17 - 3 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL