CINEMA

Predator

POSTED BY: JEWELSTAITEFAN
UPDATED: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 02:44
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 310
PAGE 1 of 1

Sunday, September 16, 2018 12:37 AM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


The new Predator is part of the original storyline. I had been under the impression it was a reboot, it is not. I don't recall if any of the films in the franchise actually conflict with others in the timelines.

Although the Effects concepts are 35years old, they hold up well even in this new film.

About 40 years ago a career-defining role was portrayed by Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley.
Olivia Munn has had comedy roles largely, and I kept thinking that this could be the role of her version of Ellen Ripley. This has far more comedy relief than Alien, and demonstrates how well she is suited to the role. I have enjoyed all of her work that I have seen, and this may be my favorite from her.

Thomas Jane doesn't try to steal the spotlight, and was quite enjoyable.

I don't want to give away too much, but this was probably the best entry in the franchise since the original, which had far less comedy relief available, and felt a different vibe for that reason. I was reminded of Cruise in War of the Worlds, and the team in Transformers or J Squad in Edge of Tomorrow.

I do recommend Predator if you have any interest in the type of films of this franchise, or if you are a fan of Olivia Munn, Yvonne Strahovski, or the others in the cast. I did not feel anybody was miscast.
Directed by Shane Black.

This is likely one of my top 10 films of 2018 so far, maybe Top 5.

This is no Merchant Ivory work, and technically no nudity, but probably quite a bit of CGI.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, September 16, 2018 3:42 AM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


It had escaped my notice that Yvonne Strahovski was in this.
Her most memorable role was alongside Adam Baldwin. Who was in Predator 2.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, September 16, 2018 8:28 AM

6IXSTRINGJACK

[/i]


I wasn't even aware of this movie. I do like Thomas Jane and Yvonne Strahovski. I don't know who Olivia Munn is.

The first two Predator and Aliens movies were great. Didn't care for any of either franchise that I've seen after those though. I may give this one a watch at some point.

Do Right, Be Right. :)

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, September 16, 2018 4:58 PM

BRENDA


I liked the Predator franchise. I will check it out.

I thought it was a reboot as well. Nice to hear that it isn't.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, September 16, 2018 5:02 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by 6IXSTRINGJACK:
I wasn't even aware of this movie. I do like Thomas Jane and Yvonne Strahovski. I don't know who Olivia Munn is.

The first two Predator and Aliens movies were great. Didn't care for any of either franchise that I've seen after those though. I may give this one a watch at some point.

Do Right, Be Right. :)

I may have shortchanged Olivia's resume. Seems she plays some action or CIA role in some subscription TV series.

She is adorable. And during interviews or talk shows, she seems like the smartest person in the room.


I consider this one to be better than #2. The original was so ground-breaking that it is difficult to beat.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, September 16, 2018 10:55 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by Brenda:
I liked the Predator franchise. I will check it out.

I thought it was a reboot as well. Nice to hear that it isn't.

In this one, there is awareness of many or all of the prior encounters.

I don't recall if that one where humans are dropped in a hunting ground is part of the franchise.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, September 16, 2018 10:56 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN



NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, September 16, 2018 11:45 PM

BRENDA


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
Quote:

Originally posted by Brenda:
I liked the Predator franchise. I will check it out.

I thought it was a reboot as well. Nice to hear that it isn't.

In this one, there is awareness of many or all of them prior encounters.

I don't recall if that one where humans are dropped in a hunting ground is part of the franchise.



That should make it very interesting.

Think I found that film on YouTube. It was good.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:04 AM

6IXSTRINGJACK

[/i]


I think Predator 2 was pretty seriously underrated. It was really the only movie in either series that had given us what we always wanted of either series, which was to see the action taking place in a densely populated area. (Maybe there are new ones that did that, but I stopped paying attention to all of them a long time ago).

I also remember the first time I saw it and when Glover was on their ship at the end and looking at all of the trophies on the wall and he saw the skull of the xenomorph and it put my imagination into overdrive. That was back in the day when crossovers were non-existant and it kind of blew my kid-mind.

I think if either of the AvP movies had come out around that time when I was still a kid I probably would have liked them a lot. They waited way too long before they put those out IMO.

Do Right, Be Right. :)

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 10:56 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by 6IXSTRINGJACK:
I think Predator 2 was pretty seriously underrated. It was really the only movie in either series that had given us what we always wanted of either series, which was to see the action taking place in a densely populated area. (Maybe there are new ones that did that, but I stopped paying attention to all of them a long time ago).

I also remember the first time I saw it and when Glover was on their ship at the end and looking at all of the trophies on the wall and he saw the skull of the xenomorph and it put my imagination into overdrive. That was back in the day when crossovers were non-existant and it kind of blew my kid-mind.

Do Right, Be Right. :)

What either series? Is there another series in this thread beside Predator?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 11:34 PM

6IXSTRINGJACK

[/i]


Obviously I'm talking about Alien, a franchise that you brought up in your original post, and one that has had a tight relationship with the Predator franchise in movies, comics and video games ever since the Glover scene I mentioned from Predator 2 in my last post.

Do Right, Be Right. :)

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 12:02 AM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by 6IXSTRINGJACK:
Obviously I'm talking about Alien, a franchise that you brought up in your original post, and one that has had a tight relationship with the Predator franchise in movies, comics and video games ever since the Glover scene I mentioned from Predator 2 in my last post.

Do Right, Be Right. :)

OK. I hadn't thought of Alien as one of the group of Transformers and Edge of Tomorrow that I had mentioned in my OP.
Didn't know Predator was related to Alien in those other arenas. Except connecting thru Terminator.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 2:44 AM

6IXSTRINGJACK

[/i]


Yeah. If I'm right, this scene toward the end of Predator 2 is what kicked it all off originally:



I never read the comics, but I knew they were a thing by the time I was in high school. Shortly after Predator 2 came out there was an "Aliens vs. Predator" arcade game that I'd play a lot with my brothers. You had your choice of a male or female soldier or one of two different Predators to fight along side with against hoards of Xenomorphs.



Do Right, Be Right. :)

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
Bad Times at the El Royale
Tue, October 16, 2018 03:07 - 3 posts
Venom
Tue, October 9, 2018 23:06 - 3 posts
What Are Your Must-See Films For 2018?
Tue, October 9, 2018 20:41 - 138 posts
Venom
Mon, October 8, 2018 20:15 - 1 posts
Joss Whedon 101: Cabin in the Woods
Mon, October 8, 2018 01:44 - 4 posts
Predator
Wed, September 19, 2018 02:44 - 13 posts
Best Films of 2018 So Far?
Sun, September 16, 2018 01:21 - 8 posts
Burt Reyonlds dead at 82
Thu, September 13, 2018 01:21 - 13 posts
Your Favorite Classic Movies - 60s, 70s, 80s & 90s
Sat, September 8, 2018 02:48 - 23 posts
Mission Impossible - Fallout
Sun, September 2, 2018 23:51 - 4 posts
Alpha
Tue, August 21, 2018 04:39 - 1 posts
Black KKKLansman
Thu, August 16, 2018 03:02 - 1 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL