CINEMA

Fall/Winter Must See List 2014

POSTED BY: SHINYGOODGUY
UPDATED: Friday, March 13, 2015 03:43
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 3727
PAGE 1 of 1

Monday, October 20, 2014 3:34 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


Okay, Summer's over and we're probably in for a long cold winter (so I've heard).
I was checking the movieplex listngs this weekend cause I wanted to go see The Book of Life (unfortunately I didn't go this past weekend, but plan to go soon), much to my pleasant surprise, I came across a slew of good movies either out now or about to be released.........................

Thought I'd list them here, feel free to name yours:

Must See:

Out Now

Book of Life
The Skeleton Twins
St. Vincent
Men, Women and Children


Upcoming

Big Hero 6
Interstellar
Horrible Bosses 2
The Hobbit: 5 Armies
Into The Woods
Jupiter Ascending (it's been moved back until Feb. 6, 2015)
Hunger Games: Mockingjay
The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Special mention: Coming in 2015-16

Victor Frankenstein
The Hunger Games - Part 2
Deadpool
Avatar 2

Should be interesting.


SGG

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, October 20, 2014 9:20 AM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


I'll only mention titles not on your list.

Several that I wanted to see this year never came to my town, but in several cases they are already available on digital platforms. I bought and watched The Zero Theorem the other night, but there are still a couple of others I haven't seen yet:

Life After Beth - available
I Origins - not yet released

Upcoming films I'm interested in:
Birdman
Inherent Vice
Predestination

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, October 20, 2014 4:13 PM

SHINYGOODGUY


I've heard of the movies on your list, like Life After Beth with Aubrey Plaza, whom I adore, and John C. Reilly (a National treasure as character actors go. He amazed me in Chicago). Guess I'm adding that one.

I've also heard of Zero Theorem, although I don't know much about it. But I'm really interested in Birdman (mainly because of Michael Keaton). The buzz is that it is shot seemingly in one long take, which I know is a gimmick, but could prove to be interesting. But I'm more interested in the story and in the telling. Could be this year's sleeper hit.


SGG

Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
I'll only mention titles not on your list.

Several that I wanted to see this year never came to my town, but in several cases they are already available on digital platforms. I bought and watched The Zero Theorem the other night, but there are still a couple of others I haven't seen yet:

Life After Beth - available
I Origins - not yet released

Upcoming films I'm interested in:
Birdman
Inherent Vice
Predestination


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, October 20, 2014 7:42 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


No John Wick?
With Adrianne Palicki too. Know how Hollywood has a really blockbuster flick, then another studio gets word, finds a copy-cat script and low-balls the cast and budget to get one out before the blockbuster? Recall Armageddon, which was cast before and released after Deep Impact, among manty other examples? john Wick looks like the blockbuster that Equalizer tried to pre-empt.

Rudderless, with great cast, including Jamie Chung.

Interstellar was on my list.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, October 20, 2014 9:48 PM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


Quote:

Originally posted by SHINYGOODGUY:
I've also heard of Zero Theorem, although I don't know much about it.



http://templetongate.net/zerotheorem.htm



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:09 PM

THGRRI





NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, October 24, 2014 5:55 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


I think I need to add Blackhat.
Does anybody know if William Mapother is related to Tom Cruise?

Is Deadpool a copy of Clint's film?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, October 24, 2014 7:19 PM

ECGORDON

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.


I watched Life After Beth last night. It's mildly entertaining but I can't really recommend it unless you feel you have to watch everything zombie.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, October 24, 2014 9:18 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


I keep forgetting about Kingsman - looks like I'll need to see it.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, October 25, 2014 7:02 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


I'll wait til it gets to Netflix.


SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by ecgordon:
I watched Life After Beth last night. It's mildly entertaining but I can't really recommend it unless you feel you have to watch everything zombie.


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, October 25, 2014 7:03 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


No, it's a comic book hero. Supposedly it's good.


SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
I think I need to add Blackhat.
Does anybody know if William Mapother is related to Tom Cruise?

Is Deadpool a copy of Clint's film?


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, October 25, 2014 7:05 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


Heard some good buzz about John Wick, if there's nothing else better, I might go see it.


SGG


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
No John Wick?
With Adrianne Palicki too. Know how Hollywood has a really blockbuster flick, then another studio gets word, finds a copy-cat script and low-balls the cast and budget to get one out before the blockbuster? Recall Armageddon, which was cast before and released after Deep Impact, among manty other examples? john Wick looks like the blockbuster that Equalizer tried to pre-empt.

Rudderless, with great cast, including Jamie Chung.

Interstellar was on my list.


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:07 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Saw trailer for Jupiter Ascending, and must agree.

For TV, I gotta see the new Junior Master Chef starting next Tuesday. The last one was amazing, and had a 7 year old girl who may have been the best, but lost on a strength event against a 13 yo boy.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, December 27, 2014 4:00 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


I have not seen American Sniper or Imitation Game, although supposedly released already.
Has anybody seen them, think they are among the best?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 4:47 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Has everybody caught everything on their list?
Anybody disappointed?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, March 6, 2015 3:18 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


Hey JSF, I'm going to note the failures and the gems thusly:

* = Good
D = Disappointed


Book of Life - D: Colorful and fun for kids, not so much for adults
The Skeleton Twins - n/a (haven't seen it yet)
St. Vincent - * The kid stole the movie
Men, Women and Children - * Garner, Sandler were good



Big Hero 6 - ** Fun for kids & adults, good story
Interstellar - D: Uneven and chemistry was off between actors
Horrible Bosses 2 - n/a (haven't seen it yet)
The Hobbit: 5 Armies - * Okay, lots of action, but script was uneven
Into The Woods * Streep was good, unexpectedly funny, but felt like one note
Jupiter Ascending - n/a (haven't seen it yet)
Hunger Games: Mockingjay - * Good not great

Not on my list but worth mentioning:

Imitation Game *** good script, better acting by entire cast
American Sniper ** Bradley Cooper (Sienna Miller should have been nominated Best Supporting Actress)


SGG

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, March 6, 2015 4:20 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


I'll try that.

Quote:

Originally posted by SHINYGOODGUY:
Hey JSF, I'm going to note the failures and the gems thusly:

* = Good
D = Disappointed




Interstellar - D:
Horrible Bosses 2 - OK
The Hobbit: 5 Armies - * Okay, lots of action, but script was uneven
Jupiter Ascending - * not as good as I had hoped.
Hunger Games: Mockingjay - * Good not great


Imitation Game ** I felt Keira again was the star.
American Sniper *** Bradley Cooper. Makes me wonder: good actor, or better direction?

Kingsman - * better than I expected
Blackhat - * Chris Hemsworth seems to get better, and I just rewatched Star Trek.
John Wick - ** No Oscars, but it dove deep into what it's target audience wanted.

Anybody seen The Loft? It has been elusive for me so far, but had seen crowds pouring out of it.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 7, 2015 2:11 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


I agree

Kiera was special in Imitation Game, she and Cumberbatch had great chemistry.

Jupiter Ascending - n/a maybe I go this weekend

Kingsman - was lots of fun, plus I loved Firth as a Bond clone

Blackhat - n/a - although I do agree about Hemsworth, I like his acting
(the Aussies that come here are usually quite good)

John Wick - is on my list to see

Which brings me to Bradley Cooper - this guy is on a roll and it started with Limitless, then Silver Linings Playbook and now American Sniper. A good actor follows good direction. He's a good actor.


SGG


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 3:14 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


You reminded my why I didn't give Kingsman a higher grade.
The fight scenes were a bit cartoonish, videogame-like, as if Sin City or 300 went berserk. If River became uncoordinated, herkyjerky, or spactic, she might fight like this, but still kick everybody's butt.
The fight scenes definitely brought an end to the suspension of disbelief.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 11:23 PM

SHINYGOODGUY


JSF you are absolutely on the money about Kingsman, the same director as Kick Ass who does over the top on a regular basis (I think back to Hit Girl with the Bananas Theme song, everybody's dead or maimed as she pops her gum, literally).

That whole scene in the church was surreal, but otherwise good cartoony fun. I do believe that Matthew Vaughn purposefully infused the film with that neo-slapstick form of violence that was present in Kick Ass. The exploding heads were a bit much for me, but at such breakneck speed that it felt like we were watching a Paul Verhoeven movie on steroids..............
"I'll buy that for a dollar"

At least with 300 and Sin City, we got stylized graphic novel goodness brought to life (personally I'm a big fan of 300's washed out panel frame artwork. It was as though a comic book had come to life).


SGG

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, March 9, 2015 6:12 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Didn't notice the relation to Kick-Ass. Yes, action was similar, but with Kingsman it seemed vastly derailed. Maybe the context was different, maybe the cinematography did the trick in KA, but Kingsman felt like a poor imitation of KA, even in retrospect.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 3:21 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


Agreed, it wasn't as good as Kick Ass, but parts of it were hilarious.
And I like the fact that you mentioned KA's cinematography, it was superior to Kingsman in every way.

Plus Chloe Grace Moretz' character was so much more than the young apprentice in Kingsman. So Kick Ass wins there too, hands down.


SGG

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:39 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by SHINYGOODGUY:
Agreed, it wasn't as good as Kick Ass, but parts of it were hilarious.
And I like the fact that you mentioned KA's cinematography, it was superior to Kingsman in every way.

Plus Chloe Grace Moretz' character was so much more than the young apprentice in Kingsman. So Kick Ass wins there too, hands down.


SGG


Suddenly I am struck by a curious observation.
Those fight scenes ADDED to KA, greatly improving the cinema experience - KickAss would not have been nearly as compelling or entertaining without them.
In Kingsman the fight scenes greatly detracted from the film experience - the film would have been much better without them - it could have been an actually entertaining film, instead of the annoying distraction it ended up being.

What contrast.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, March 12, 2015 3:11 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


It kind of reminds me of how good the scenes were in the original Robocop. I equate Kick Ass to that movie, although Robocop had a different pace to it, I liked how the violence depicted was social commentary, but without detracting from the movie.

Of course, KA is much better, but still.......the violence in Kingsman was a couple of notches past 11, to the point of distraction (except for the bar fight scene, which was awesome - and a bit derivative of the Cloud Atlas scene in the Scottish bar).

So I find myself agreeing with you again.

Ok, so did the Earth just rotate on it's axis!


SGG

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, March 12, 2015 6:48 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by SHINYGOODGUY:
It kind of reminds me of how good the scenes were in the original Robocop. I equate Kick Ass to that movie, although Robocop had a different pace to it, I liked how the violence depicted was social commentary, but without detracting from the movie.

Of course, KA is much better, but still.......the violence in Kingsman was a couple of notches past 11, to the point of distraction (except for the bar fight scene, which was awesome - and a bit derivative of the Cloud Atlas scene in the Scottish bar).

So I find myself agreeing with you again.

Ok, so did the Earth just rotate on it's axis!


SGG


The bad fight scenes were so bad that I practically forgot the bar fight scene -which was the scene that I had hoped more of the film would have. The film would have been so much better with more of that, similar to River in Maidenhead, or maybe her Terminatrix Cameron.
Did you mean flipped it's axis, or against it's axis?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, March 13, 2015 3:43 AM

SHINYGOODGUY


You're getting all Big Bang Theory on me..............flipped, I believe, is the technical term...........lol

Sometimes it's good to laugh at yourself......shiny!


SGG

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
What Are Your Must-See Films For 2019?
Thu, August 22, 2019 22:43 - 143 posts
Discussion of Alita: Battle Angel
Sat, July 27, 2019 07:51 - 64 posts
Top Gun: Maverick
Thu, July 18, 2019 16:17 - 12 posts
Spiderman: Into the Verse
Wed, July 3, 2019 20:11 - 10 posts
Alita: Battle Angel
Wed, June 12, 2019 17:58 - 47 posts
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Sat, June 8, 2019 16:39 - 33 posts
What Are Your Must-See Films For 2018?
Sat, June 8, 2019 15:42 - 174 posts
Avengers: EndGame
Fri, May 31, 2019 19:53 - 25 posts
John Wick 3
Sun, May 26, 2019 17:38 - 15 posts
* Topic reposted in correct forum *
Wed, May 22, 2019 18:12 - 6 posts
May The Fourth Be With You, 2017
Thu, May 9, 2019 22:33 - 14 posts
Captain Marvel, DC or MCU?
Tue, April 30, 2019 14:04 - 126 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL